Building my coop...few questions???

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SassyKat6181, Sep 8, 2010.

1. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    I am converting two stalls in our horse barn into the indoor coop and enlosing the attached outdoor paddock for their run. I have 12 chicks on order, 6 Barred Rock and 6 Black Sexlink. My questions are: How many nest boxes do I need? How far off the floor do I attach them to the wall? How many roosts should I have and what size? Again, at what height? Do I need roosts in the run? I've got plenty of time before they are ready to move to the coop, but I want to do it the right way from the get go. Thanks everyone![​IMG]

2. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Quote:I would give them 3-6 nesting boxes about 1 to 2 feet from the floor. The roosts just need to be big enough for all 12 to fit on, so maybe 6'- 8' feet long minimum and about 3' - 4' from the floor. Just make sure your roosts are higher than the nesting boxes.
    ETA: I have 8 nesting boxes that I originally built for 10 layers and now I have 20+ layers and they only use 3 - 4 boxes to lay in.
    I have a roost in the run and they use it some of the time but mostly like to scratch, and fluff around in the sand for most of the day. So it is not really needed just a plus if you are trying to spoil them like we do.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  3. SassyKat6181

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    Thanks! [​IMG] Will they all roost together, or should I provide a few branches at different heights and places in the coop? It's about 20'x12'x9' in the coop.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

They tend to want to be together, but if you have the space (and it sounds like you do), it's always nice to have more than one spot for roosts so that the girls lower on the pecking order have a place to go if you end up with a bully in the flock. Plus, variety is just nice, and can help alleviate boredom, especially in winter time. I like roosts in the run too...I have several, of different varieties (branches, 2x4 ladder roosts, etc.). My girls use them a fair amount when they're contained within the run (because mine are out and about when I'm home).

5. SassyKat6181

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    The run will be about 20'x40' and I plan to open the door in the morning and lock it at night. We work from home, so assuming the weather is good (no guarantee in New England;)) the girls will be in and out as they please. We have a lot of wild animals around here, so I'm also going to put deer netting over the top to protect them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by