Building My Dream Open Air Coop Today!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SouthernCalBeachChick, Dec 28, 2013.

1. SouthernCalBeachChick

SouthernCalBeachChick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2011
    Southern California
    I'm so excited, I have a coop builder coming to our ranch today to build my dream coop!
    I'm in Southern California, so our weather conditions are more mild than most, so after years of trial and error I designed a true open air coop. Here are the details & I'll post photos when we're done.
    12' X 12', divided in half (so it's like two 6' x 12' coops), 6' walk in doors. Six external hinged nesting boxes. Solid back wall, with solid wall around the bottom of the entire coop, pitched roof with shingles, three roosting poles that run the back 12' of the coop. Painted white with black hardware.
    My flock consists of 5 cream Legbars, 2 Americaunas, 4 olive eggers & in the incubator 4 splash/ blue English Orpingtons & 9 Blue Marans.

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Sounds great - be sure to update with pictures as the builder makes progress. I truly believe in the open air concept myself. Even in very harsh climates - like the northern midwest, many people have had great success with a 3-sides open-air coop. As long as they are able to get out of the wind, I think there is huge benefit to having fresh air at all times.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by