building my first brooder please help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tbridegroom, Sep 17, 2011.

1. tbridegroom

tbridegroom Out Of The Brooder

ok im building my first brooder because i plan to start raising chicks... im going to build two 3'x5'x2' boxes to build a double decker ...How many chicks you think both of these will hold and how long??....the sides back and bottom will be plywood the front will b 1/2" screen doors im thinking i have to cut a circle in the top for the heat lamp but then what do i do on the bottom one where theres no room to move it up im thinking of the adjustable light switch.... im going to make to seperate floors one will always b there then anohter to just sit on top to remove for easy cleaning... im going to put a rabbit waterer in for water ive seen that works for chicks if you think otherwise please tell me.....now for food i havent firgured a easy clean feeder for chicks please help on that

2. ScottyHOMEy

ScottyHOMEy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Waldo County, Maine
    Pardon, but I think you're asking for plans that don't exist. At best, you're gonna have a difficult time. Credit is due for realizing the issue of getting heat to the lower deck, but a rheostat on a heat lamp is not your answer. You need to either find more space, or scale back your plans to where the chicks can brood on a single level. 3x5 is big. How many chicks are you talking about?

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Sounds as if you're raring to get building! I'm sure it will be a true work of art!

But have you thought about :

1. That baby chicks double in size each week?
    2. They will get wings and want to use them by the end of week two?
    3. They will want to have space to race back and forth, chasing each other?
    4. They will produce an unbelievable amount of poo and dust?
    5. You will need to clean and socialize (interact with them so they will trust you and be tame) the chicks several times a day, and it will be hard on your back if you're leaning over and into a box? And if you don't plan on accessing the chicks from the side, they will fear you more, and your back will want to divorce you?
    6. The heat lamp will need to be continually raised as their heat requirement lessens?
    7. A low "starter" perch to get them accustomed early on to roosting instead of getting addicted to sleeping in a pile on the floor?
    8. Some windows to permit natural light to enter the brooder so they can become accustomed to natural sleep patterns after they no longer require the 24 hour heat lamp?
    9. Some kind of netting over the top so they won't fly out and explore the big world too soon, as well a permit excess heat and moisture to escape?

I'm sure others can add more to this list. But you need to consider what the chicks' needs will be and draw up your brooder plans accordingly.

I began with a cardboard box on the floor, 2' x 5'. A few years later, I got smarter, and put two boxes together, side by side elevated on a table, with a pass-through cut into the adjoining walls. I covered the top with cheese cloth to coral the tykes. The heat lamp was just over one side, so they had lots of space to go cool off if they got too warm. I raised the lamp when they were spending more time in the other side instead of under the heat.

Water was in a hanging bottle, but you already have that solved. I elevated their feeder on some 2" x 4" blocks. They don't mind climbing up to eat, and it keeps the feeder above the wood shavings.

The most important thing you can do to rear great chicks is to love them and handle them a LOT!

4. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I use large clear totes and cut the middle out of the lid. I use those expandable screens and I put the clamp so one side of it is between the screens and lay it over the tote. Cover the warm back of the lamp with a metal pan then cover it all with a towel. Depends on the temp of the room they're in. I also use aquariums. When we get situated in our house we just moved into i'll have something I can clamp the light on over the brooders and be able to raise them as they get to where they need less heat. LIke I did at the other place. It's not necessary to go through any large expense when you can use most things you may have around the house or pick up at a yard sale.

The nests are all nearly different. From wicker baskets, wooden boxes and plastic storage containers. What ever they will use is fine with me. I even have some that won't lay in anything except a flower pot with potting soil in it. They ruined the plant that was in it so I gave them the pot. [​IMG]

5. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    This is how I had it at the old place. I plan to do about the same at this place too.
    [​IMG]
    By emvickrey at 2010-10-08
    As they grow I'll separate them in different brooders. When they're about 3 weeks old they go out into the grow pen which also is heated if they need it.
    [​IMG]
    By emvickrey at 2010-10-08
    I put a wooden box in the grow pen when it's cold under the heat light and they all go inside to sleep.

I clean the brooders regularly so they aren't walking in poop. And when they go outside in the grow pen I clean up all the dust they put out on everything and start all over again. You can see all the dust. And the poop on the wooden box. It all gets cleaned when they come out of the different pens for the next batch of chicks.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  6. tbridegroom

I already got plans all drawn out ive been adding to them all week I'm building it so big so I can possibly put a bloody hen in one...I was just running by you guys it wont b hard to build my family owns a construction company we build Polebarns and houses so all my supplies besides hinges and paint are FREE.....I thought of the adjustable light because I saw several on here...I am rearing to go but I'm giving myself a month to find a cheaper octagon 20 w/ egg Turner on eBay or here hopefully

7. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
  8. tbridegroom

i want one of those bad but im already going to spend $200 one the incubator .....but i guess ill only need one for the bottom brooder the top i can use the heat lamp

9. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:Right now you can get the Octagon 20 ECO with the auto turner for $149.98. That's not bad!!

10. tbridegroom

SHAME ON YOU BARRED BABIES!!!!![​IMG][​IMG] I just put the incubator and ECOGLOW in my shopping cart [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by