Building my first chicken coop! Help and Advice Please :)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by southernsilkie1, Dec 31, 2012.

1. southernsilkie1

southernsilkie1 New Egg

Dec 30, 2012
    So I've got two adorable baby silkies only about a week old but I figure I am going to start my planning now as they will be up and at em in now time :) I haven't ever built a coop but everytime I go to look to buy one I am in sticker shock and besides that there isn't one I find that is what I really want. I don't want one to big as I only have two (which could change knowing my love of chicks :) ) but I don't want to build one two small and have them both up in each others grits and gravy, although I don't think they would mind as of right now they can't be separated! Anyway any advice I can get on where to begin? Advice on sizing? Or any advice on ways to be low budget and smart about this? I would so appreciated!

Thanks y'all

southernsilkie1

2. southernsilkie1

southernsilkie1 New Egg

Dec 30, 2012
    also almost forget help with tips for unpreditable weather. Like keeping them warm when its 40 but not baked when summer comes and its 100! Thanks again

3. nwredrooster

nwredrooster Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2012
    Oregon
    Most plywood comes 8' x 4' and 2" x 4"s come in 8' lengths (which is 2 4' lengths). So I would look at making it 4' or 8' high and/or wide and probably only 4' deep. This will maximize your money and minimize your waste. The only variable would be if you can find used lumber and these measurements don't work for the lumber you get.
    Also I would always make it a bit bigger than you think you want. Then you can get more chicks down the road if you choose. But it's difficult to make a finished coop larger than you originally built it - and the extra cost to make it a little bigger now it will be water under the bridge in short time. Where as a a smaller/ slightly less expensive coop today with no room to grow tomorrow could have you very disappointed later.
    I would think that a coop with room for just two hens would not stay that much warmer in the winter time than one that fits five, six, or seven. And the larger coop would probably stay cooler and better ventilated in the summer

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by