Building my first chicken coup

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Kristie9901, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Kristie9901

Kristie9901 Just Hatched

Nov 15, 2016
    I'm about to build my first coop. I found an 8x8 coop design here on BYC by Mikeee.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/8x8-coop

I live in Texas and it gets super hot in the summer. My plans are to build it under a large tree in our back yard and I'll be adding some windows for air flow. The kind you cut out after you build it and attach a hinge to open the 'window' and prop it up with a 2x2. And I'll cover the window hole with heavy chicken / rabbit wire.

Is there a certain way the coop door should face? Towards the north/south/east/west? Windows on a certain side for breeze? Or anything else I need to know before I start building?

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us. I hope that all goes well with your build. Maybe if you post your question on the Coops and Runs forum, or your state thread you should hopefully get some good advice - https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

More generally, you'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=learning+centre and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

All the best
    CT

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] The problem with building under a tree is, it's a direct pipeline to the chickens, a short cut that won't be overlooked by predators like raccoons, raptors etc.

4. SleepyHollowFnF

SleepyHollowFnF Out Of The Brooder

As far as orientation goes, the same rules as a house apply. South facing exposure (depending on where you are on the globe I guess...) is what we use in New England (and id imagine for that whole latitude range) to take advantage of the heat and light of the sun. You want to present the most amount of wall space as you can to the sun, as well as windows if you have them.

Good luck!

5. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Remember the Poop Board!

1 person likes this.
  6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Kristie, and :welcome! Pleased you joined our community! Looks like you've already received some great ideas so I'll just say best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! :)

7. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

One thing I can recommend is to build it larger than you think you'll need. Chickens are like potato chips, you can start with a few and the next thing you know you have masses of them!

Good luck with your build and thanks for joining us!

1 person likes this.
  8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Exactly, build BIGGER cause Chicken Math will get you for sure [​IMG] Having to downsize or build another [​IMG]

10. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Hi and [​IMG] I am glad you joined us here at BYC, best wishes!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by