Building my first coop - with pictures

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Baker Farm, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Baker Farm

Baker Farm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2012
    Ontario, CANADA
    Hey,
    I've been poking around on this forum through the summer looking for advice and wisdom to help with my first chicken coop.
    Here it is so far, I built this much today with my Dad's help. Total amount spent to date on coop...
    Lumber $50
    Nails $20
    Everything else so far has been donated to the project. I have windows, a solid cedar door with window, and tin for the roof. The only expenses coming up are for sheeting the exterior... and maybe more nails. haha

All framed with rough sawn 2x4's.
    Dimensions are 6' x 8'. 7' high on the front wall, 5' high on the back.

The next step is building my roof, so I'm always open to suggestions on what works. I'm just trying to figure how much overhang I need all around.

Picture of my Dad standing in the front door.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This picture shows the chicken door opening on the side. Also, the vinyl was recycled from my basement. FREE
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Off to a great start [​IMG]

3. Baker Farm

Apr 23, 2012
    Ontario, CANADA
    Well, it's been a slow go getting this chicken house built. Cutting, splitting and piling wood took priority among other things. With spring fast approaching I'm kicking it into gear.
    Before winter I had started sheathing the outside with 7/16" osb. The other day I got the roof sheeted, now I just have to get the tin on it and finish the walls.
    Plans for the nest boxes are made and they will be constructed hopefully this week as well.
    Besides getting the coop ready for pullets in March, I'm also preparing for my small scale maple syrup operation, and am also prepping myself to get into bee keeping as well.
    Gotta stay busy!
    [​IMG]

My pile of bee hive boxes etc.
    [​IMG]

4. Baker Farm

Apr 23, 2012
    Ontario, CANADA
    I'm overdue for an update on here, but I need some quick advice as I've got chickens moving in tonight.
    For bedding on the floor of the coop, I bought pine shavings to throw down, but I wasnt sure if I should just cover ALL the floor, or frame of an entry area by the man door so to have exposed vinyl flooring for where I walk in and out. My concern about doing that would be 1 - chickens roosting on the framework and pooping on the vinyl, and 2 - chickens just deciding its a good place to poop or throw bedding into anyways therefor making it pointless.
    Opinions?

I'm quickly learning that chickens are like children. haha

5. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    I would put a 4 to 5" layer of pine chips on the entire floor. I am not a big fan of vinyl or any type of slick flooring. The vinyl would be OK for a poop board that you want to scrap. Plenty of chips will help solidify messy poop. The chickens will dig around somewhat from time to time but a big run will help keep them entertained outside. My coop flooring is made of 1 x 6 deck boards. Any liquids are soaked up in the pine chips or drain down through the boards (perfect for draining and refilling inside water containers). You have a nice framed coop and your chickens will love it! btw.... I have always wanted to get into bee keeping! Very cool!

[​IMG]

6. Baker Farm

Apr 23, 2012
    Ontario, CANADA
    Thanks. I layed down shavings everywhere but ill throw another bail in to make it deeper. I likethe sounds of the deep litter method. More good compost for my garden :)

7. Baker Farm

Apr 23, 2012
    Ontario, CANADA
    So my coop is ALMOST finished, but I fell into a smoking deal on some 8 month old red and black sex links that was too good to pass on.
    First I got 3 and made a temp coop out of pallets and kept them in the garage for almost a week while continuing work on the coop so I could get them out, and then the same people offered me another 3 so I had to get them in the coop as the small pen wasn't big enough.

[​IMG]
    Garage mini coop.

[​IMG]
    The first 3 hens. Each laid me an egg a day in cozy garage conditions with a light on a timer.

[​IMG]
    Nest boxes built and installed. I blocked off two on the end since they don't need that many. I made room to grow.

[​IMG]
    All sheeted and window and door installed. Still needs some finishing touches as well as the tin still has to go on the roof, but it's sheeted with osb.

[​IMG]
    Custom door handle and latch. Built not bought!

[​IMG]
    The roost bar is just a big old branch out of the bush. I plan on doing something different eventually, but this works for now. They seem to enjoy the natural touch.

8. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Your coop is looking good. The advice given on bedding was good. Slippery floors cause leg injuries. If you use poop boards, think about using pdz or stall fresh on them, it makes getting rid of the poop soo much easier, you just scoop it like cat litter. For your permanent roosts, your chickens will be better off if you use either much larger diameter branches or 2 x 4 with the 3 1/2" side down. That makes it easier for the chickens to cover their feet in cold weather.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by