Building my first coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Smartlink, May 3, 2017.

1. Smartlink

Smartlink Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2017
    Chambly, Qc, Canada
    Greetings from the north;

This happens to be my first post and the first time I will build a coop.

Kinda new to this chicken thing. I have spent a lot of times reading on the forums about coop designs, ideas, do's and don'ts. By now I think I have a good idea where I am heading in terms of build. But I must admit I still have a few questions and would love to get your input, will try to limit my questions.

I live in Canada, get's pretty cold in the winter, where taking nights below -15f (-25c). So I will need to insulate the walls of my coop. (Thinking about using pink Polystyrene Rigid Insulation).

1) If my coop if isolated and I make sure there is no draft and insure proper ventilation, Do I need to plan to included a Infrared Heat Emitter (60 Watts), on a TC-3 Thermo Cube. I don't wanna use a red lamp (fire hazard).

2) Should I keep water outside even in winter, to limit condensation (will be using a heated water fountain obviously)

3) Thinking of using composite decking and panels, anyone has experimented with this ? How was the condensation ? Insulation ?

Thanks in advance, this seems like a very friendly community too, eager to start my build next week, getting my gals at the end of the month.

Regards

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

Insulation may in fact be needed in your climate... despite it being a home for rodents.
    It needs to be protected from the chickens or they will eat it.

Heat probably not, maybe in the roost area against comb frostbite, hard to heat with ventilation tho.
    Some use a roost roof to keep hear area warmer.

Not sure what you mean about the panels.

Sounds like you might need to do more research before building.
    Try these searches on Canada and Alaska......might find you some 'neighbors' to consult.

One thing I do know about is heated waterer that does not contribution to humidity.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/aarts-heated-waterer-with-horizontal-nipples

1 person likes this.
  3. snow5164

snow5164 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2015
    Canada
    Hi ,
    I'm in Canada too, southern Manitoba.
    We used foam insulation sheets in our walls floors and ceiling , not sure what to expect when we built, two years ago.

We made a cookie tin heating thing to go under our 5 gallon waterer. Stayed nice all winter. We have a small barn heater that we hang from the ceiling when it's below 0 in the coop, used it a few nights for two 8x8 coops ., it heated both we cut a " window " with mesh in it to share the heat.

Ask away ,
    I'll try to help you out,
    We've not had any frost bite or sick chickens yet and with the lights on 14 hours a day the eggs kept coming even during this last winter we had ....[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]Which as you know was horrible!!

1 person likes this.
  4. Smartlink

May 3, 2017
    Chambly, Qc, Canada
    Thanks for you reply Aart;

Anyway to rodent-proof the insulation? Forget about the panels, we are going for a all wood construction, we won't use composite after all.

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  5. Smartlink

May 3, 2017
    Chambly, Qc, Canada
    Indeed disgusting winter. You had steady egg production all winter ? WOW, amazing, is it just a light cycle hing or temperature is a factor? What type of barn heater where you using ?

6. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Not that I know of off hand.... except maybe to avoid a stud wall cavities, sheathed inside and out, and filled with insulation.
    Maybe foam board insulation laid on outside of studs under sheathing would give the coop some protection but not create rodent habitat.
    Still have to keep birds away from foam boards from the inside....for some reason they love to eat that stuff.

1 person likes this.
  7. snow5164

May 16, 2015
    Canada
    No Aart I don't just have pullets. I have many different ages of layers since I have three coops.All my layers laid threw out our winters here in Canada ,

We had a light on for 14 hours each day and kept the coop above zero . We bought a milking heater from TSC for $25. We blew out the dust as needed , usually every 2-3 days.

We don't all have rodents in our coops .different locations have different problems .Our foam board insulation is free of mice after two years, we just opened up a wall to make an addition .

A few barn cats and free access to under my coops ( for the cats),keeps the mice away,

1 person likes this.
  8. snow5164

May 16, 2015
    Canada
    [​IMG]

Here's the heater we have

9. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Did you older hens molt in fall?
    When did you start the 14 hours of light?

10. snow5164

May 16, 2015
    Canada
    Aart,
    I was trying to help out a fellow Canadian who shares the same weather and rodent climate that I do . I don't have the energy to defend my every choice with you again . That's what I hate about these forums a select few think they are superior to the ones with " only pullets??"I didn't get my chickens last week you know., we don't even get a chance to help before you cut in... I'm done , it's not worth it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by