Building my first coop.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sdetwiler333, Sep 6, 2014.

1. sdetwiler333

sdetwiler333 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2014
    Warsaw, IN
    I began work on this coop on Labor day. It's getting close to being complete. I am getting my first birds tomorrow, so any in put about getting them used to a new environment would be much appreciated.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. krose2001

krose2001 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2014
    Looking really good! Run too-- keep up posts so we can see completed.

How many birds are you getting, and what are your dimensions? Did you have a plan or are you "winging it"? [​IMG]

3. Pinkaboo

Pinkaboo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2014
    Cornwall in the UK
    Looks great and really admire people who take pictures as it is built
    Now in going to google Labor Day since I've no idea!!

4. sdetwiler333

Aug 31, 2014
    Warsaw, IN
    I am getting seven hens and a rooster, they are mixed and the person selling them doesn't know the breed , but looking at the pictures some look like New Hampshire Reds. As for the coop I'm winging it. Looked at some different designs, got a picture in my head of what I wanted , and went to town. The dimensions are , floor area inside is 4' x4' not including the nesting box which is approx. 16" wide by 48" long 16' at the high point. Nesting box on the side is 15"x15" x15 ', height at the front inside is 52" and 36" at the back, and has 2 roosting bars. The run is 8' long by 4' wide, inside, by 4' high. There is an open space between the roof and the siding in the front and back for ventilation, that I can close off in cold weather. Also going to add a roof vent. I got a super deal on the paint at Menards. I went in and asked if they had any mis-tinted paint & got 2 gal. of Pittsburgh Grand Distinction semi gloss exterior paint for $5.00 per gallon, that's $35.00-$40.00 per gallon paint normally. I'm pretty happy with the way it's turning out, but still have some tweaking to do.

5. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    I love the nest bucket idea you got there. I am building a new coop and would like to use your idea.
    Nice work and fast too.
    You got lucky with your miss tint it is a good color. ( I bought miss tint too and it looked like icky cow poo. I added about a half gallon of it to almost 3 gallons of white to get it to an olive color.)
    Really wishing mine was as far along as yours.
    You may want to leave the vents open since you have a total of 8 chickens and moisture leads to frostbite.
    Are you going with poop boards? They really do help with the cleaning.

I really need to take some pictures.

Babs

edited to add...

May need to double the number of rungs on the ladder too.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  6. sdetwiler333

Aug 31, 2014
    Warsaw, IN
    What are poop boards & how do I make them? Thanks for the positive feed back. It helps that I have worked in construction and have power & air tools. Good info on leaving the vents open, never would have thought of that. Thanks.

7. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Poop boards....
    I made basically shelves that sit below the roost and catch the nights droppings. I put a bit of pine shavings and some DE to absorb the moisture in the poo. Clean up is a snap simply sweep the ick off and deposit in the compost or trash bin. I have linoleum on mine to keep the wood from being gross.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...what-a-poop-board-is-supposed-to-look-like/10

This thread has some great info on it about the poop boards.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by