Started with first coop & first chickens this summer. Unfortunately, since I knew nothing about woodworking or chickens, I was going in blind. I did Ok with the first one but I made the run only 3'tall since I was only getting a few bantams. This is the old coop. It's only a few months old, and quite appropriate for my 4 girls, but still...the constant rain is an issue (it needs to be more enclosed) and I'm already tired of having to clean on all fours Constraints: -I only have ONE location I can put the new coop- right where the old one was- our yd space is limited. I temporarily moved the old coop so I could put this one up; I'll have to take the old one down as soon as this one's complete because it can be seen, slightly, from the street. Husband doesn't want an eyesore! Coop has to be behind the garage between the 2 garage windows (so it's out of sight). The windows are 9' apart & 4'6" off the ground. You can see the space in the picture above. -Also, because of previous landscaping, it can only be about 3' deep. Plants/trees in the way, that kind of thing. -Because it's under part of the awning & against the house, the roof has to pitch forward, not back, so I'll have to put a front gutter. 'Can't have it pouring water onto the house for 7 months of the year! -We have such extremes here--very cold winters, very hot summers, very windy blustery days, 7 solid months of nonstop drizzle in the winter, freezes/ice/snow--so I want to encase the top 2/3 or so in wood, for the girls' comfort. Plan to have hardware cloth for the entire backside and 2' around the bottom only, so they can see out and get ventilation. They free-range (well, free-yard) during the day when weather permits, so I don't think they'll feel too penned-in. -Last thing- I don't want to make it entirely immovable or permanent so I'm using multiple screws but not glue. House won't be attached to run but hooked against it, so they can be moved separately. Want to be able to take it down if necessary. Brick footprint in lieu of concrete, etc. Lots of limitations but I think I can do it! Got the space cleared and set up the footprint today!! Will stabilize with more dirt on inside & out before it's completed. Very exciting!-but it took several hours of digging & stacking to get it level. Ground was totally uneven. *phew* Got the materials yesterday so I started the framing for the rear wall today. YAY! I'm tired and sore, but feelin' good! I'm no Norm Abrams, and this won't be nearly as impressive as many of yours, but it's still fun to work on each step in the process!!