1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Building new coop and want to make sure i'm not crowding

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by HSerChickLady, Feb 12, 2012.

1. HSerChickLady

HSerChickLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2012
    upstate NY
    We're going to be building a second coop this spring for a second batch of chicks but i'm not sure how many i can comfortably fit in there? It will be an 8' x 8' coop with a 12' x 12' run attached. I have 10 in this size currently and they have more than enough room. So in the new coop of this same size how many do you think i could comfortably fit? We're thinking 15 would be good, but not sure. The new coop will be all hens, and at least RI Reds, Ameraucanas, and Barred Rocks for inhabitants.

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    12-14 standard size chickens should fit comfortably in there. So now you start making plans for your 3rd coop.

3. HSerChickLady

Feb 12, 2012
    upstate NY
    We are actually. lol! We're getting ducks too this year. But that's the limit my DH told me. Guess we'll see.

4. redhotchick

redhotchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Fort Worth
    Smaller coop and larger yard is what i always say. They are animals and like to be outside.

5. Alexia

Alexia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Southern California

I totally agree with that. Mine only go inside the coop and lay eggs and sleep at night. So the size of the coop is not as important as the size on the yard/run

6. HSerChickLady

Feb 12, 2012
    upstate NY
    Good to know. Runs are cheaper to build than coops and that's really where our constraints lie. My DH will be glad to know that. I'd rather they are cozy on winter nights and have lots of room to play during the day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by