building new coop ideas??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Rooster1235597, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Rooster1235597

Rooster1235597 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    connecticut
    [​IMG]
    Here is the coop i have now and the 6 girls i have in it, i was thinking of building a big coop to house them and more incase i want to get more! or maybe i may even get ducks![​IMG] Any ideas??? If people could post pics and give dimensions and what not that would be great [​IMG]

2. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    That is a nice coop you have there, and it looks like you have electricity run to it [​IMG] If you are going to build, I would build as big as you can, a few more chickens are never enough.
    As far as ideas, what were you planning, totally enclosed, something you can walk into?
    I've added two more coops this summer to my yard. By the time I was building the third one, I realized I had a small village on my hands, so I tried to make it pretty. Here are my three, I can walk into all three, it's just a preference. The big one is 8x8, the elevated is 4x6, and the last one is 4x8.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Rooster1235597

Aug 5, 2009
    connecticut
    Your coops look awesome [​IMG] i think ur third one is pretty sick! the type of coop im looking to build is definitely one that i can walk in to and easily clean. Like maybe something like ur second one, how many chickens can u fit in that one?

4. Chicken Chat

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    The elevated one came as a kit. The manufacturer suggests that it will hold 12-15 chickens but I think that would be too much if they were standards. Right now I have 7 bantams in there and they seem to have lots of room. Since the exterior nest box sits outside, the chickens get the whole 4x6 floor plan to walk around.

5. Rooster1235597

Aug 5, 2009
    connecticut
    where did you get the kit from? how much did it cost? would you mind taking pictures of the interior of it? If it costs too much to build a new coop then i am going to try to go to a local farm auction and buy someones big coop for cheep!

6. Chicken Chat

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I got it from this company http://www.horizonstructures.com/coop.asp . If I recall it was a little over a thousand, but it might be less since you live closer to them and shipping would be less. If I had to do it over, I probably would have built that one myself as well and it would have been half that $. I really like the coop but I will say that the majority is only 2x3 construction and naturally I prefer 2x4. Here are some inside photos, good thing I keep my flash drive with me. I took these before I insulated the coop so I would remember the construction.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Rooster1235597

Aug 5, 2009
    connecticut
    Your coop looks very spacious! I am going to talk to my rents about making schematics to build something similar to ur coop

8. Rooster1235597

Aug 5, 2009
    connecticut
    The prices are way too expensive, i am going to have to build one my self [​IMG]

9. Chicken Chat

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I agree it was pricey, but at the time I had chicks that I needed to get out of my basement and into another coop. No time to go over plans and price wood and with me just building it, no time. My last coop took two months to build and probably two months prior going around getting wood prices and planning. What we won't do for our chickens. Just after I bought the elevated coop, I came across some plans for one that looked just like it. I could have kicked myself. I would be happy to look those over and send you some dimensions if it would help. The plans are a little old and on some of that fine trace paper so it doesn't copy well, can't read it if you try or I would scan it for you.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  10. Rooster1235597

Aug 5, 2009
    connecticut
    Oh you could scan it to me? i have a scanner!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by