Building new coop in old cow barn

Pics

Fillymj

Songster
Jan 5, 2020
Long Grove , IL
Have my first 8 chicks coming the end of March. Renovating milking parlor into the coop. The space is 15‘ x 9.6. Two walls need to be built. Hired my carpenter and electrician to do the work. Electrician will remove old wiring as well as update the entire coop. Planning on using 16 gauge welded wire 1/2 inch for windows and runs. Thinking will attach the wire also where ceilings and walls connect so no predators can get in. FRP panels will be attached 4’ around entire room for easy cleaning.

These are items I am putting in. Please feel free to add in your thoughts on where I am lacking.
12” exhaust fan

2 5/8 smoothed handrail for roost. Is this wide enough?

Medium rollaway nest-Best Nest Box-near roost should I move it further away?

HeimVision camera so I can watch that all are in the coop at night and to make sure no predators.

Chicken door with automatic open & close to run.

Kalglo Poultry heater over roost. Understand that quite a few folks don’t like heaters. With automatic shut off can keep roost at 35 degrees for the really cold nights. It will be properly wired and have a protective wire on it for any flying chicken. Every 3 years or so we will get a brutal week of -30 weather. Will move the chickens into a large heated barn with the horses. Just can’t stand the thought of frostbite and would like it easy for me also when caring for the animals In that type of weather.

Here is the barn currently. Will start work in a month or so when the temperature is higher.

89864BD7-7577-4EC5-9B24-E88BE439F2A2.jpeg
2768CB01-4679-4891-B411-AE31CCC9A824.jpeg
91582F1D-B220-4A3F-84AC-FD5AB74A3BA1.jpeg
FD98803D-E9A7-4AA6-8C42-55CA93BF8F41.jpeg
CEF9E240-599D-4D7E-8BE5-1D1D77AEAD51.jpeg

Im no expert, but i like it so far.
The FRP panels, will they be flush to the wall or will there be a gap or space behind them? Only ask because bugs and rodents love those gaps and spaces to build homes behind.
Also i notice the big gap under the door. Make sure that any gaps or holes an inch or larger are covered with hardware cloth to stop entrance of a least weasel. Ive learned that lesson the hard way. 😭
As you alredy said, im not a fan of the heater idea. What if your chickens become accustomed to the heater, then a storm arrises that takes your power out? The cold will be harder for them to deal with then. What type of chickens will you be getting? Rose or pea comb chickens, and feather footed breeds are better if worring about frostbite.
i prefer straight comb and clean leged breeds and i am north if you and have no heat in the coop and my chickens do fine.
Good plan so far! Keep us updated.

Wow....you are blessed to have a structure to start with! I am getting a flock next spring and will have to start from scratch. I have spent the last several months reading and studying....and I have to say....I would not add heat. My coop will be in Connecticut and I will not add heat. Main reasons: Chickens (cold tolerant breeds) don't need it. Also, I've seen photos and read posts about coop fires and it's always the heat source....burned but still alive chickens are pictures you don't forget. And....as 50-45-1 pointed out, your chickens will not be cold tolerant and if power is lost....you may lose the entire flock since you made them artificially dependent upon supplemental heat. Your decision, of course....just wanted to share what I've decided based upon my reading. Good luck with your build....do keep posting pics of the progress, I'm anxious to see it all come together!!

Im no expert, but i like it so far.
The FRP panels, will they be flush to the wall or will there be a gap or space behind them? Only ask because bugs and rodents love those gaps and spaces to build homes behind.
Also i notice the big gap under the door. Make sure that any gaps or holes an inch or larger are covered with hardware cloth to stop entrance of a least weasel. Ive learned that lesson the hard way. 😭
As you alredy said, im not a fan of the heater idea. What if your chickens become accustomed to the heater, then a storm arrises that takes your power out? The cold will be harder for them to deal with then. What type of chickens will you be getting? Rose or pea comb chickens, and feather footed breeds are better if worring about frostbite.
i prefer straight comb and clean leged breeds and i am north if you and have no heat in the coop and my chickens do fine.
Good plan so far! Keep us updated.

FRP panels will be flush. Will use corner trim kits so no area is exposed. Will be mounted on top of plywood. It is attractive with stucco look.

Getting new door with half window. Yes I am very concerned about mink & weasel. Will replace any lumber that is weakened.
Is 16 gauge half inch welded wire strong enough or should I get 14 gauge?

Wow you are up north. Much colder then us. All but one chick have single combs with Wyandotte having rose comb.

Still working on the heat issue. We seldom have power outages and don’t last long if we do. Can always hook up genarator, in the 30 years I have lived here only used once for heat. I am going to put the heater in but don’t know that I will use it. Will keep studying what is the best for the flock.

Thanks for your info.

FRP panels will be flush. Will use corner trim kits so no area is exposed. Will be mounted on top of plywood. It is attractive with stucco look.

Getting new door with half window. Yes I am very concerned about mink & weasel. Will replace any lumber that is weakened.
Is 16 gauge half inch welded wire strong enough or should I get 14 gauge?

Wow you are up north. Much colder then us. All but one chick have single combs with Wyandotte having rose comb.

Still working on the heat issue. We seldom have power outages and don’t last long if we do. Can always hook up genarator, in the 30 years I have lived here only used once for heat. I am going to put the heater in but don’t know that I will use it. Will keep studying what is the best for the flock.

Thanks for your info.
Sure! Sounds like you've thought of everything!! :thumbsup

Almost everyone makes changes/modifications after they live with it for awhile......
I recently read an article by @DobieLover about her coop build...she had an old shed and converted it. I LOVE what she did.....especially the brooder and outside brooder run. You might like to see her pics.....it's really a nice article. I think it's called the "Mulligan"

See if this gets you there: (I'm not the greatest at navigation)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-mulligan.74743/

Wow....you are blessed to have a structure to start with! I am getting a flock next spring and will have to start from scratch. I have spent the last several months reading and studying....and I have to say....I would not add heat. My coop will be in Connecticut and I will not add heat. Main reasons: Chickens (cold tolerant breeds) don't need it. Also, I've seen photos and read posts about coop fires and it's always the heat source....burned but still alive chickens are pictures you don't forget. And....as 50-45-1 pointed out, your chickens will not be cold tolerant and if power is lost....you may lose the entire flock since you made them artificially dependent upon supplemental heat. Your decision, of course....just wanted to share what I've decided based upon my reading. Good luck with your build....do keep posting pics of the progress, I'm anxious to see it all come together!!
The chickens will be all cold tolerant so maybe I am overthinking the heat.

Am lucky to have that barn. Hasn’t been used for 15 years or so, glad to finally find a project to use it again. The barn is only 60 feet from my house so I can see the run when home.

Good luck with your coop too. Have been studying all the coops at BYC’s. Some great ideas.
When are you planning on starting your coop? Thinking my will start in a month.

The chickens will be all cold tolerant so maybe I am overthinking the heat.

Am lucky to have that barn. Hasn’t been used for 15 years or so, glad to finally find a project to use it again. The barn is only 60 feet from my house so I can see the run when home.

Good luck with your coop too. Have been studying all the coops at BYC’s. Some great ideas.
When are you planning on starting your coop? Thinking my will start in a month.
It's nice to be able to see the run from the house! I know I would enjoy that!
Welllllll.....I live in Oho. I'm moving to Connecticut in June (At least that's the plan) I've been in my home for 25 years so packing, donating, moving, painting, replacing flooring....is what I'm involved in right now. Hoping to get the Connecticut coop sorted out in the fall.....and order chicks in the spring 2021? We'll see how it goes!! I will follow your postings and maybe learn some things from your start up!

Back
Top Bottom