Building north of Twin Cities

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by NewToThisStuff, Jan 3, 2014.

1. NewToThisStuff

NewToThisStuff New Egg

Jan 3, 2014
    We're new to the Twin Cities and bought land in the northern suburbs. Slightly intimidated by the stacks of books I checked out of the local library, mostly because they seem to focus on scabs, mites, predators and flocks' gruesome cannibalistic tendencies...I need help, or maybe just a few words of encouragement!

We're animal lovers. We love the idea of being self-sufficient and knowing where our food comes from. But we're also a little freaked out at the moment. Do you have any suggestions on best entry-level breeds (for both egg and meat production), as well as tips and tricks for cold-weather-friendly shelters? We have 10 acres on water. Pretty rural area.

2. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

www.storeyboobs.com has great books for raising animals of any type [​IMG]

The library we have here is free to access and a large inventory [​IMG]

And if you get stuck just Post a question and someone should be
    getting back to ya [​IMG]

gander007 [​IMG]

3. Brookliner

Brookliner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Southern New Hampshire
    The best advice I can give you is to build your coop before the arrival of your chickens. Check out the coop tab and read all about coops. Also since you are in the country with water nearby pay close attention to the predator section and use 1/2" hardware cloth on all openings and any run you build. Welcome to BYC you should find all the information you need right on this site.

:D

4. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
  5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Okay - more homework. Go to "where am I , where are you," in the social forum. Then you can find and post on your state thread and find out how others are managing their flocks in your area. [​IMG]

7. Bluebee

Bluebee Overrun With Chickens

Jul 30, 2012
    Cali
    [​IMG]

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow Welcome To BYC!

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC, and congratulations on your pending new home. Start with the Learning Center at the top of the page - search the forums, ask questions, plan and you will do fine. Do not be intimidated. Poultry raising is a combination of knowledge and common sense.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by