1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Building our 1st chicken coop for the wife

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Southerlys, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Southerlys

Southerlys Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Kirkwood Mo
    We're new to the backyard chickens thing but about to finish building our 1st coop. Were in kirkwood mo. Just outside of St. Louis and I'm hearing the ubran backyard chicks are very popular here. We haven't seen anyone with chickens yet though.[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  2. cstronks

cstronks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    When I raised chickens in my town, I also thought I was the only one with them, but then I started noticing that people around town also had little "unique" sheds in their backyard. I've also picked up a straggler or two that has gotten out of their coop or forgot to return when free-ranging was over.

Even if people don't have them in your area, be a trend setter! You'll probably inspire others. Both my neighbor and aunt up the road decided to raise chickens after they saw mine. It is a great experience!

What will you have in your flock? How large is your coop? Best of luck and welcome to the forum!!!

3. Southerlys

Feb 9, 2014
    Kirkwood Mo
    It's a 4 x 4 with three nesting boxes. We are just going to start with six hands we thought about getting americanus, black sex links, and leghorns. we wanted the Americana for blue eggs, we saw there were Easter egg or but we were mainly wanting blue eggs and large brown eggs

4. Southerlys

Feb 9, 2014
    Kirkwood Mo
    [​IMG]

5. cstronks

Mar 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    You'll have a colorful basket. Sex links lay large brown eggs everyday, leghorns do the same except it's a white egg, and the americauna lays a nice blue egg 4 or 5 times a week. Sounds like a decent flock. Six is probably as much as a 4x4 can take (maybe one or two more if the run is very large). For some reasons, chickens tend to use one or two nest boxes, but it was a good idea to put three. My chicken house has six now and they only use three.

6. cstronks

Mar 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    Don't forget to add a roost bar to your coop for your hens to sleep on!

7. Southerlys

Feb 9, 2014
    Kirkwood Mo
    Still trying to research how we need to set the roosting bars up and how we need to set their food and water inside the coop, under the coop, or both?

8. greasy

greasy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2014
    Worcester , ma
    just keep it outside for them. This winter I wrapped my run area in clear plastic to protect them from the wind and snow. I don't put any food or water inside. I don't want mice going in the coop after the food and don't want them spilling their water inside and adding humidity to the coop

1 person likes this.
  9. Southerlys

Feb 9, 2014
    Kirkwood Mo
    Will do... We built the coop about 2 1/2 feet off the ground so I hope I have room to hang them under the coop that will be wired in with the run.

10. greasy

greasy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2014
    Worcester , ma
    If you think you may have 4 legged predators, once you enclose the under coop run, you may also want to bury your fencing a couple of feet down to discourage digging under and getting into the coop. I get diggers all the time, but they don't get in :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by