Building Our Coop!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Beggins, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Beggins

Beggins Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2012
    Marthasville, MO
    My son and I are working on a new home for our girls - at present we only have a RIR and a barred rock but I plan on more once the spacious new digs are complete. Right now they are living in a converted rabbit hutch which is not the best situation [​IMG].

This is what we started out with: it was supposed to be a playhouse/fort for our kids. DH began building it seven years ago and this is as far as it got. So I thought we'd use it as our basic frame, in order to save work, time, and material. Turns out it has made it more difficult, as the legs and floor (which will end up as ceiling of the coop) are not level. square, and plumb.

[​IMG]

After removing the railings and ladder, we framed in a floor and began putting wall studs in. I had planned on assembling the walls flat on the ground then raising them and nailing it in. Didn't work because of the level/square/plumb issues mentioned above [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I covered the floor with sheet vinyl that we had just removed from our kitchen since we installed laminate flooring. The left side will be a storage area. If you think the wall in the middle looks like a ping-pong table, you're right!

[​IMG]

Frame for the nesting box.

[​IMG]

Storage room walled in, door in awaiting hardware. Window lined with hardware cloth, hole for pop door at lower right.

[​IMG]

Roof partially on. We tried to do the rafters correctly with birdsmouth cuts, but once again the strange measurements tripped us up, and in desperation, my son just cut them straight down on the edge.

[​IMG]

"People" door for coop made and ready to be installed, nesting box is progressing. All the roof plywood is on; we are having the roof on our house replaced due to storm/hail damage, so I am hoping I can scrounge enough felt and shingles from the tearoff to cover the coop.

[​IMG]

And that's our progress so far. I have been trying to assemble plexiglass windows that will swing up, awning-style, and it is driving me crazy! I'm about to go out and begin my third attempt. I also still need to figure out the roost, with which I would like to have a shelf underneath to use with PDZ.

Thanks for looking at this - if anyone has any comments or suggestions, I am eager to hear them!

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Wow! Gorgeous!

How cool would it be to have a tree fort for a chicken coop though :p If they could get up in it lol.

3. kellanv

kellanv Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2012
    Need a chick-a-lator for that!

Great looking coop! Nice setting, too.

4. Beggins

Beggins Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2012
    Marthasville, MO
    Well, we still have the ladder! Hmm, a high-rise chicken coop [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by