1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Building our first EGGMOBILE

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Brahma Mamma, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Brahma Mamma

Brahma Mamma In the Brooder

Mar 16, 2010
    We are building our first eggmobile! It's rather small to be able to fit onto our 7' x 14' trailer. Note that it's sitting on pressure treated wood. The egg boxes will be added later. This is for our RIR babes who won't be laying for another 7-8 weeks. We just want to get them onto the open grazing. Below the building progress is a travel trailer that we picked up cheap to house our older (but not laying for about 3-4 weeks) mixed layers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Note the skids

[​IMG]
    Attaching siding left over from our barn.

[​IMG]
    View of the roost

[​IMG]
    View of the cedar floor (rough cut cedar boards - $1 each!)

[​IMG]
    Closer view of the perches

[​IMG]
    Here's where we're at right now! Notice the window that seems like it's missing a pane - that's because we're going to chicken wire
    the outside of the frame to give more ventilation. This is a summer home, after all.

NOW (drum roll)

The EGGS-TRACTOR acquired recently...redneck and proud of it!

Wait, first the chicken tractors that we've had the chickens in 'til now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The EGGS-TRACTOR!

2. my3chickens

my3chickens Songster

Apr 24, 2010
    Maryland
    I personally like the chicken RV [​IMG]

Looks like the new one is going to be nice when finished.

3. anthonyjames

anthonyjames Songster

Apr 22, 2009
    Port Washington, WI
    How come you used cedar boards for your flooring? To me that seems like work now that you have to clean that? I would have gotten some wire welded wire or a roll of rabbit flooring and put it on as the poo will go to the ground and fertilze.

Nice building though and I love the RV.

4. Brahma Mamma

Mar 16, 2010
    Quote:Thank you! We found the RV on craigslist after we had spent a week trying to finish that now very small looking eggmobile! It's at least 4x the size of what we're building.

5. Brahma Mamma

Mar 16, 2010
    Quote:Thank you! The cedar boards were cheap and we intend to put deep layer bedding in it so's we can use the bedding later for garden compost! The chickens will be free ranging within an electric fence which will provide fertilizer for our field. The chicken tractors that we had them in left "squares" of dark green grass after the grass grew back. Nitrogen HEAVEN!

We are looking for more RV's. The price of this one (and it's movable and dry) is cheaper than buying one axle and lumber for an egg mobile built that's a 1/4 the size. We wish we had thought of doing that before building the new one!

Thank you for your comments!

6. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I really think you need to put the awning down on the RV and put up a few sun chairs. Maybe a few plastic plants in pots. You know give it a more homey feeling. lol

7. Brahma Mamma

Mar 16, 2010
    Quote:[​IMG] We just put the awning down and hung some water buckets to our Bell waterers! I like the plastic plant idea!

8. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    :d

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by