Building our New coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cdawson41, Aug 26, 2010.

1. cdawson41

cdawson41 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2010
    Missouri
    I'm new to the boards and finding so much information here. We got our chickens at the beginning of summer and started out witha little set up we thought was going to work out fine. Then some of the storms started coming through and after having chased their yard, a chain link dog run several times and having to gather my girls up and put them back I told hubby they were living in the slums and they wanted to live in Hollywood. LOL. Being the awesome guy he is he went to work. I started searching craigslist and found an 8x10 Amish built storage shed, went and looked at it and loved it but the $450.00 they were asking was a bit more than I had. They called me everyday, three times a day wanting to know if I wanted it. So finally thinking I would get them to stop calling and depressing me every time they did so I said I would give them $200.00 for it if they couldn't get it sold. WOOO HOOO a week later they called and said I could have it for that price. So shed came home, which was a task in itself and hubby started working on their yard, 24x24. It will have a divider wall down the center in the event I bring home new gals and they need to be seperated for a bit, but the main reason was so that I can turn them out into one side or the other and not have all the grass gone at one time. I had thought about planting some winter wheat in there for them to see if they would like that, havn't decided on that yet. Nephew is coming out today to help me make a scrath box for them in their yard and hubby should be done revamping the shed tonight. I sure wanted to add pics but can't figure that one out yet.

Also wanted to give a shout out of thanks for all the awesome ideas and suggestions I keep reading on here, this board ROCKS!

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Wow! $200 for a shed that size is a fantastic deal!! Looking forward to pics of the remodel [​IMG] I've heard that there is no pen chasing in Hollywood... [​IMG]

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    You got a smokin' deal.

Congrats!

and welcome to BYC!

4. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Fantastic deal! As I was reading your post I was hoping to find that you held out and offered a lower price. Good job! Post pics when you get it and as you build it so we can follow along.

5. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Congrats on the awesome deal on the shed! I sure wish I could have found one that cheap and that size! Welcome to BYC! To load pics to the forum, load your pics into your computer and save them to a file (like my pics). Then click on Uploads at the top of the page on this website (in the blue toolbar). A page will come up that says Select your image, with a Browse button. Hit the Browse and find the file for the pic you have saved in your computer. Once you find the file click on it to put it in the browse bar, then hit Submit. It will load your pic. If you have a picture you want to use for your avatar, you will have to change the size of it in the spot where it says Resize image. It gives you a choice. Good luck, it took me a while to figure out the picture thing, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by