Building our WHIZBANG!!! :) Tips, anyone??

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by BBUTTER, Dec 15, 2011.

1. BBUTTER

BBUTTER Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    Louisiana
    NO MORE PLUCKING FOR ME!!! [​IMG]

My hubby has been gathering parts here and there for the better part of a year now. We finally started putting it together last night! Yay!! We process our next batch on Saturday, so it better work! We're building it without plans. Hubby thinks he has it figured out from looking at others' photos. So far, so good!

If any of you DIYers have tips to share, they would be much appreciated. My biggest concern is the pattern of the plucker fingers. I've seen a lot of people use the pattern that has two alternating rows at the bottom and four columns going up the sides. Is that enough? The featherman plucker seems to have more than that. Opinions??

2. BBUTTER

BBUTTER Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    Louisiana
    [​IMG]

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Now I am going to have to go out to the garage and look at the plucker. The plate on the bottom spins and it is covered with fingers,. Then a couple of rows of fingers fairly close near the bottom and rows of fingers most of the way up. If you pluck something big, you will need those fingers that are higher up the sides. By "rows" I mean a circle of fingers around the barrel.

Oh, hey. Go to the EZ Plucker site and look at their different machines. They have some different configurations and the less expensive machines have fewer fingers and the more expensive machines have more fingers. Looking at those photos would make more sense than me trying to describe how the fingers are laid out in the machine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by