Building Panels

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by seminolewind, Mar 2, 2015.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I've been thinking about building 4x8 panels by 2x4 frame with hardware cloth nailed on, ahead of time and then making a coop/run from it. Anyone do it that way?

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

sounds like it would work great.

When I built my Muscovy coop, I made two big panels, and then put them together.

The first big panel was a giant frame that I covered with those plastic ripple fiberglass sheets.

Then I made a second really big panel that would end up being the roof. I didn't put the metal on it until it was in place, since the frame plus metal sheets would have been too heavy for me to move.

3. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    I do. Except my modular design is 3x6 panels for two reasons.

1. 6 is tall enough for me and less bulky to handle.
    2. Full size material is hard to come by when using reclaimed and recycled material.

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Good to know that. In the past I built things too low and I'm forever bumping my head and bleeding even tho I know it's low. I'm better off not worrying.

5. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    Well... At the moment my run is 3ft high with removable panel top. If I ever want to change to 6ft high run... Just flip the panels.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by