1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Building suggestions for the door on the run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickp, Jul 18, 2010.

1. chickp

chickp In the Brooder

May 3, 2010
    Georgia
    So....we have a Little Tikes coop that is up and my awesome dh is attaching the run to the back of it. It is about 4.5 feet tall, 5 feet wide, and 8 feet long (we're working with scrap lumber so dimensions are not exact). We are trying to figure out the easiest way to make a door into the run, and how big it should be.

[​IMG]

We have a bunch of 2 x 2s so we might make one out of that, but we need it to be secure. Any thoughts or ideas? And what do you use for latching it shut? We have a smaller padlock with a key that we can use, maybe.

Thanks! Hoping to get the girls in this week, they are SO over their brooder at 5 weeks old and it is warm enough for them outside. [​IMG]

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Sorry...but are you talking about a door for YOU or a pop door for the chickens???

3. Chocobroc

Chocobroc Chirping

Jul 13, 2010
    Eastern, NC
    What about using one of the windows as the door?? Make a ramp come from the window and a smaller ramp inside to the floor of the coop. It will save from cutting any holes into the house (which might be a pain). Also, I would add the hardware cloth to the door's windows and the other window (from the inside so you can still open the window. I think this can be an excellent coop.

4. chickp

chickp In the Brooder

May 3, 2010
    Georgia
    Thanks, I should have clarified but was talking about a door for US. [​IMG] But dh figured it out and we now have a door! We found some latches from Home Depot that can take a padlock but don't have to take one, if that makes sense, as they twist shut too.

And we are planning to extend a ramp down into the run for the chicks....it'll be a little steep but I think the extra room underneath is worth it. Don't worry, we have hardware cloth on all windows and gaps, too! I think it's going to be great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by