Building the Coop! Pic heavy!! Would love any suggestions, etc..

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Boosier, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Boosier

Boosier Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2012
    I have attached quite a few pics of the coop we are building for my 45 chicks. It will soon be covered with tin, and will have an attached 20 x 40 run. Please let me know what your thoughts are. We will be building 3 stacked rows of eight nest boxes on one end of the building, and there will be several (3-4) roosts on the other end. I am also debating on placing a box feed bin with metal trashcans inside, on the middle of the back wall. I would make sure it has a slanted roof as well. :) I am also trying to come up with a name for the house, and am leaning towards Henthouse! Giggle.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Boosier

Mar 28, 2012
    Sorry, I failed to mention that the house itself is a 10 x 20.

3. highpointfarm

highpointfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2012
    Orange County NY
    Looks GREAT =]

4. Tweakster

Tweakster Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2012
    Garden Ridge, TX
    May want to consider more ventilation. Remember, they have a higher body temperature than we do and can't sweat to cool off like we do. The windows look great, but may not give you as much ventilation as you want. If that's the case, the addition of a box fan in one window would certainly augment the ventilation.

Almost looks like y'all could hold a barn dance in that thing. Ever consider leasing out one end as an apartment? This is just saying it is nice and big, it should meet all your future needs and I like it!

5. Boosier

Mar 28, 2012
    Thank you! I asked my man to build me a chicken house, and he totally outdid himself. It's much more than I expected to ever have. I did wonder if we had enough ventilation in it. I will check into a box fan, as you suggested. We get the tin this Wednesday, so I will post pics of it then! I do have one more question. My boyfriend built the roost, and even though I wanted them to be with 2x4, he bought the biggest dowel rods they make and used those ladder style across the 2x4's. I hate to ask him to redo it all, any thoughts on this being a problem?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by