Building the fortress: one homestead at a time

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by SchultzWoodworking, Jul 28, 2019.

1. SchultzWoodworking

SchultzWoodworking Chirping

Jul 27, 2019
    Hi everyone! Conrad from Freeland here... Mortician by trade & Army Veteran recently medically retired from my infrastructure job...too many surgeries...work hard/play hard!!!

I’m incredibly new to this addictive thing you all call chicken raising...I know jack squat about this stuff even though I’ve been studying for 2 years, watching literally thousands of YouTube videos, and reading every article I could find on chickens (my family thinks I’m insane)...

I ordered my girls (16)assorted brown laying (2) Easter eggers last week from Hoover’s Hatchery and they came right away... lost 1... grabbed 3 more from TSC to give me a solid 20...
    I believe I have Jersey Giants, RIR, Easter Eggers, Cinnamon Queen, Orpington, New Hampshire Red, Black Sex Link and a couple I can’t recognize yet...
    I enjoy doing things that bring something into my household ie., hunting, fishing, chickens, gardening, woodworking, cooking, freeze drying, canning, cleaning, it helps justify time & expenses while making me feel good about providing... also building the “coop fortress” ties into my Woodworking & military side...
    There’s a wife: JoAnne, 5 children (2 remaining at home) and Bentley aka Bensonburner a Boxer Mastiff mix who definitely thinks he’s a child of ours...
    I stumbled on BYC searching the web for different questions I had...

I’ve built the “coop compound” off of my barn and will send photos soon in hopes that you all will critique & recommend what I’ve done right/wrong.

Thanks,

Conrad

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens, it's very nice to meet you Conrad. Would love to see photos. I think you're gonna like it here. :yesss:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  3. N F C

N F C Champion

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    :welcome

Hi Conrad, glad to have you here! Thank you for your service. I hope you enjoy raising the new flock!

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hello, Conrad, welcome to BYC - great introduction.

5. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Cyprinus carpio

Aug 17, 2016
    Salt Lake City, UT
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! We're glad you decided to join our wonderful community! :welcome

6. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello, Conrad, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    I'm looking forward to seeing your "Coop Compound".

7. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Partially Enlightened

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
  8. 007Sean

007Sean Saint of the Sinners

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy Conrad :frow and Welcome to Backyard Chickens.

Happy :ya to have you here with us. Enjoy your time here at BYC!

Thanks for joining our community! :celebrate

9. SchultzWoodworking

Jul 27, 2019
    Thank you...

10. SchultzWoodworking

Jul 27, 2019
    Guessing: either feeding snacks to my lil chicks or clipping wings??? I don’t remember
    I’ve been studying black soldier fly, clipping wings & baby snacks recently

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: