Building tractor and need help

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Splinty, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Splinty

Splinty Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    New York
    I'm sorry if this has been asked before but I can't seem to find the right answer. My hubby is building the tractor for or chickens and we got the dimensions good but we are having problems deciding if we really need to insulate the sleeping area. He is using 3/4 inch plywood to make the square box. He is going to silicone any gaps. We live on Long Island and we are not sure if we really need to insulate the box. We do get temps below freezing mainly at night although last winter we did have a week or so below freezing during the day. We have the ventilation worked out. He is going to make one wall hardware cloth wire and then remove that to make it solid in the winter. He is going to put vent holes on the top under the solid run roof and on top across in the back for a cross ventilation for the summer. We are up to attaching the wall and really need help. Thank You
    Forgot to mention we have 1 barred rock, 1 buff orph, & 1 white rock

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  2. Cargo

Cargo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Farmington, NM
    No, they do not need insulation.

3. Splinty

Splinty Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    New York
    Thank You very much. We are concerned about winter. We have been reading that the insulation can be harmful to them by retaining moisture and causing respiratory infections. Then we read that without it they can get frostbite. It's very confusing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by