1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Building up my first coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by h8mtv, Nov 25, 2007.

1. h8mtv

h8mtv Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2007
    Central Va
    Hi everyone, I am planning for getting a flock of about 8-10 in the spring. I have started on my coop. It is 4x6' and stands with 3' clearance in the front, 5' in the rear. I plan to build some nesting boxes inside, probably 5. Any advice on how to proceed? I plan to use the deep litter method. I have a large 6'x2' removable rear panel on the back for access to nesting boxes located along the back like stalls.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Looks good so far. Generally speaking, 4x6 should house only 6 hens, but I have 7 in a 4x5 and they do well. Just remember you may have to make up for it in their "free" outdoor time or run time.

A removable back wall is a good idea. Cleaning mine is tough since the ceiling is low and that would make up for a lot of difficulties.

Good luck.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Looks like a good design, although 4x6 is going to be pretty tight for that many chickens unless they're bantams. I'd say for standards, you may be able to fit 6 in that size. Nice start!

4. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Ooooh, Im really interested in seeing how you proceed on this. Im still in the "what kind of coop" process right now; seems the more I look at the more I don't know what I want. All I do know, is I want something I can close up at night, and one with lots and lots of ventilation, since Im in FL. I don't know if I should just buy a garden shed and convert (and poke holes in) or just build something like this....tho I barely know which end of the hammer to use.

Ill be watching eagerly with your progress here.

Kathy

5. h8mtv

h8mtv Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2007
    Central Va
    How many nesting boxes should I have for 6 hens, it is one per?

I have alot of lumber that was given to me yesterday, I used about a 3rd for the coop I built. Can I build a second coop or does a flock want to stay together?

I hope to have it shingled and wrapped in tyvek today.

6. speckledhen

They tend to like to lay in the same ones, no matter how many you have. You dont need more than two or three at the most for that many. You could build a second coop, if they can run together during the day, but it may make the pecking order a little less stable. They like to roost and eat together.

7. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    I usually setup a nesting box per every four so 2 nesting boxes should serve you well. It would not hurt a thing to build a separate coop. I actually encourage it. It would not bother them a bit. I think chickens enjoy less competition. Even if you put them all in one coop which would not hurt space permitting that second coop could be used for quarantine or for that new flock you will most likely start later.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2007
  8. speckledhen

I do agree that it would be better to have two coops than one crowded one, for sure! You'll get more birds, I can almost guarantee it, LOL!

9. h8mtv

h8mtv Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2007
    Central Va
    Well, consider me started on my second coop. [​IMG]

10. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Great looking coop! I like the construction / design which looks pretty simple. Thanks for the pics, I encourage you to take MANY as you go through the process so we can add them to the BYC site (after you create a personal page) <hint>.

A general building question: In an effort to conserve wood and to make the coop lighter, would it be possible to rip the 2x4's lengthwise (or just by 2x2s) and build the exact same coop while maintaining structure strength?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by