1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Built 2 new brooders..

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DMSrabbit, Dec 13, 2010.

1. DMSrabbit

DMSrabbit Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I have never used one before, and these 2 were my first attempt. I know most people suggest circular so there are no edges for the peeps to get lost in, but i work from home so i will be checking them constantly anyway. I am so excited for my new (hopefully successful) hatch. I currently have 11 bantam barnevelders (under the hen) and 11 full size barnevelders, plus 25 blue laced red wyandottes in my incubator.. The first 24 will start hatching the 23rd (day 21) and the next 20+ eggs will start hatching on the 24th (day 21 for them), i may even get a few late hatchers on Christmas day!! I think these will be good homes for the mom and her babies, plus the other 35 or so other chicks in the incubator.. What do ya think for a first timer?

Side by side in the garage:
    [​IMG]

Mesh screen tops that slip into the inside of the boxes, and are easily covered if necessary (for some privacy, or to retain heat)
    [​IMG]

Opens right up (on both sides) for easy access to the babies as well as food/water
    [​IMG]

Chose to line with chips instead of hay (thanks for all the suggestions!!),
    [​IMG]

READY FOR BABIES!!
    [​IMG]

Bantam Momma on some bantam barnevelder eggs
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  2. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    looks good. are you supposed to put a heat source on a broody chicken?

3. DMSrabbit

DMSrabbit Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I don't think u have to, its just a 75 watt bulb for comfort more than anything.. Its really cold (for the NW) in my garage (mid 30's) and shes a little bantam so i hope it helps her.. Is this a bad idea?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  4. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    i dunno. just wondering me self. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by