Built a brooder in the coop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by scotter, Dec 20, 2013.

1. scotter

scotter Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    S.W. Missouri
    My boys and I built a makeshift brooder in the coop today and moved the chicks out of the living room. They sure do like the extra space. The other chickens are not so sure about the whole setup and are very skittish of the chicks. Hopefully over the next several weeks they will start to get comfortable with each others presence.

[​IMG]

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    [​IMG]

I like it. This is the brooder I built in my coop. I don't brood them on the house so my wife stays happy.

Your chicks are raised next to the adults so integration will be much easier. You're only heating one area and letting the rest cool off so they will acclimate much better. The older chickens will scratch stuff into that brooder from the coop floor so the older chicks will share probiotics and help the chicks get started on building flock immunities. I really like it.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. scotter

May 11, 2013
    S.W. Missouri
    Greetings neighbor, I understand the happy wife element. These chicks have been in the living room since Thanksgiving. My wife has been begging for their eviction. Very noisy and overly social when let loose. Not to mention the smell if their chips aren't changed twice a day. I like your setup. it looks like it would be a lot easier to maintain than mine.

4. scotter

May 11, 2013
    S.W. Missouri
    Mama's and Babies reunited

[​IMG]

5. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Good job Dad and the Boy's working together to make
    a brooder I always enjoyed them times when I had them
    and congratulations on the brooder too .......

gander007 [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by