Built a Catawba Coop (pics)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by psrumors, Oct 13, 2008.

1. psrumors

psrumors Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2008
    Bought the plans and built one, well two actually. A friend and I built two at the same time. I wanted to make sure we wanted chickens and the wife would not object too them. Now she is ready for a full on flock. She fell in love with the RIR and Black Star immediately. We put another RIR and Americana up in my friends coop till my bigger coop is finished.

It took us right at 10 hours including the trip to Home Depot. They went together well. I don't think you would cut the time down much by building one and I don't think time would have increased much to build three. We cut all the wood at once and then started assembling.

These are really neat tractors and would be great for an urban enviroment. Of course that is what they are intended for. There are a couple changes I would make on the next one but all in all very impressive coops. The instructions are phenomenal and very well put together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    That looks great!

3. Hooterville

Hooterville Chillin' With My Peeps

I have those plans but have yet to build one. I'm glad to hear it went together well.

Did you purchase all new supplies for it?

Becky

4. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    WOW! Great job. I saw the plans for these, they looked wonderful. I wish it was how we did our first coop, then maybe I wouldn't have had to push my husband to build a second one! [​IMG]

5. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Very cute. Are you going to sit it up off the ground for easier acess?

6. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Nice job, I like it.

7. psrumors

Oct 11, 2008
    Thanks guys.

I used all new wood as that was the quickest and easiest. It was right at $175.

I do not plan on raising it up, access is not bad at all.

I will be adding a roost to the bottom section as all the girls want to do all day is sit up top and on the roost.

8. TheTeenyTinyFarm

TheTeenyTinyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Elberon, Virginia
    I like it and a good size for a small flock like me! Where did you purchase the plans? Could you make it bigger if you wanted?

9. psrumors

Oct 11, 2008
  10. kellykungfu

kellykungfu Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2009
    I was looking at the plans for this coop. How does one clean it out weekly? Do you hose it out? I didn't quite see from the pictures or the actual website, are you suppose to fill up the upstairs area with pine shavings or something?

Thanks in advance and have a great day and God bless.

-kelly

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by