Built a Grow Out Pen, Pictures Heavy.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chicken_crazy93, Dec 11, 2010.

1. chicken_crazy93

chicken_crazy93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2010
    Mascot
    Hello fellow chicken lover's, we got my grow out pen built yesterday. It's 5ft. wide by 9ft. long by 6ft. tall at the front & 5ft. tall at the back. We started about 11:00am. & finished about 10:30pm. & built it all out of scrap lumber from a buddy's sawmill. You can search thru my other posting's but I'll go ahead & fill you in on what I've gotten accomplished so far. Well, what I should say is, what my buddy has done & I just helped him a little as I could. First, we built a hen house for my chicken's that my buddy's daughter gave me in October of this year & some that I had bought. Before October I didn't have any chicken's & hadn't had in 25-30 years. Then I decided to build another house for breedin, keepin banty's in etc.. & also a small feed room. We got that one built. Then I decided I wanted a good holdin pen so I got an old wobbly rabbit pen from a feller on CL & we made the improvement's to it so it was stable & how I wanted it. Well, I'm suppose to be gettin an incubator real soon & I decided a grow-out pen was needed, lol. Keep in mind, all this started in mid October of this year when my buddy's daughter gave me three young, 3 month old, chicken's. I now have 27 & 6 of them are very small banty's. Like I said earlier, you can go back & look at my other posting's to see all that we have done but here's how we started.

Here is the first house we built. I was gonna paint them but have decided I'm gonna cover them with old rustic sawmill scraps like my grow-out pen is made of.
    [​IMG]

The second one with the feed room in the back next to the garage.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The holdin pen. Please excuse the white house in the picture with the gutter hangin down as the folks who own it live in Florida & I'm in the process of tryin to buy it & if I do, the house will be torn down.
    [​IMG]

The grow-out pen.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Cargo

Cargo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Farmington, NM
    Right on!

3. cfdf

cfdf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    Looks like somebody else has a bad case of chickenitus! [​IMG]

4. chicken_crazy93

Oct 24, 2010
    Mascot
    LOL!! You got it.
    Quote:

5. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Love those rustic boards.Nice job!

6. chicken_crazy93

Oct 24, 2010
    Mascot
    Thank you. I love the rustic look also. I was gonna paint the two chicken house's but have decided to cover them with the same kind of lumber.
    Quote:

7. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I love the rustic look too! Looks super!

8. chicken_crazy93

Oct 24, 2010
    Mascot
    Thank you very much.
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by