Built a new run with welded wire

Are weasels something I should worry about in the suburbs?

• Yes, they will eventually attack and kill your chicken

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • No, they are very rare

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-50

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

Jacob Duckman

Chirping
Jul 4, 2016
Lehigh Valley
I decided to build a portable run, 4x8x6 using salvaged and warped lumber leftover from my contract job. I'm almost done, just adding 3/4" plywood at the bottom and sealing it in. Will be topped with pine shavings. I made it portable because I currently rent and want to be able to easily load it up on a utility trailer when I have to move.

For the fencing, I used 2x3" coated welded wire. The most common predators in my area are haws and cats, so those two are covered, but I know this won't stop a weasel. How common are weasels in the suburbs? I've never seen one here before, are they something I should worry about?

Attachments

• run.jpg
    run.jpg
    393 KB · Views: 27
Not sure if you have weasels there or not....but you need to protect from other preds digging in. Wood at bottom won't cut it, consider an apron. If screwed on it could be removed for moving run to a new place.
Good examples of installation, tho I'd not recommend 1/2" HC...go with 14ga 1x2 or 1x1, will hold up much longer and is easier to lay flat.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1110498/wire-around-coop#post_17093528
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-coop-project.1169916/page-2#post-18481208

Wheels are not needed for the kind of portability you mention.

Granted I don't live in the suburbs (well, out here we consider it suburbs, most "city folk" would call it rural LOL) but I didn't think I had weasels either, until one day I spotted one casually hopping towards me on the driveway while I walked the dogs. Goes to show that just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it's not there.

Rats are also a nuisance that can easily squeeze into a run and definitely present everywhere you can imagine.

Back
Top Bottom