Built a new run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Shadow722, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Shadow722

Shadow722 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2013
    Outlying Oklahoma City
    A friend of mine tore down a 14'x20' carport and gave me the roofing metal. So, I built a chicken run and used his metal. I put 1/4" hardware cloth around the bottom 2' and chicken wire for the top 4'. I then attached my old pens and coops. I now have a 6x6, 6x12, 8x8 and the new 14x20. I have 24 hens and 4 roosters. I got rid of 2 roosters to a breeder. I may get rid of an additional 2 roosters. Now I need to clean up my mess around the pens from construction. It was quite a chore to catch the chickens after I turned them out to move their pens. They kept coming back to the old spot. It took an hour to catch my youngest rooster. I felt like Rocky in Rocky 2 when his trainer had him chasing the chicken.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

That looks wonderful!

3. thomasboyle

thomasboyle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Northwest Hills of CT
    Nice! Love all that open room!

4. Shadow722

Shadow722 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2013
    Outlying Oklahoma City
    I just moved them last weekend. I guess I'll let them back out in a couple days to range. I wanted them to get used to new location. I let them out once and they wanted to go to where I moved the pens from and was confused until I ran them over to where the new location was. I like to leave them out when I get home from work until sunset then they usually go back to their coop. I do a head count and close it up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by