Built a transport box

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by randombrad, Nov 21, 2014.

1. randombrad

randombrad Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2014
    next week I'm moving from California to indiana. The temps could get cold, so I built a small compact moving box to help keep them warm, watered and fed. I tested it the other night and they seemed fine.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    How many chickens are you putting in there?

3. randombrad

May 2, 2014
    3 chickens, they can move around but wanted it cozy enough to keep them warm

4. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    It looks like it has four solid walls. Take one of the ends off, and replace with either hardware cloth, or chickenwire. They are going to need some fresh air in there. That's a long drive for them to be totally shut in.

1 person likes this.
  5. randombrad

May 2, 2014
    On the sides that have slates of boards there are 1/4 inch gaps between them. I don't want too big of open or else they could loose body heat as traveling through some colder states

6. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.

Unless you are tying them to the roof of your car for the drive, they WON'T lose body heat. That's what their feathers are for, to trap heat to their bodies. But, three of them in there most definitely will need fresh air/ventilation. Open it up.

7. randombrad

May 2, 2014
    I drilled some holes in the ends

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by