1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Built new coop – Will they break their legs??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by PacsMan, Apr 23, 2009.

1. PacsMan

PacsMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Salt Lake Valley
    I built a 4x8 coop inside my garage. I’m using the sliding glass window to let them out. They’ve now been out in their new coop and large run for about 4 days now, and they’re getting pretty comfortable. They aren’t full grown, only 12 weeks old.

The only problem is, the bottom of the window is almost 4 feet off the ground. I’ve got a ladder for them, and they’ve learned to go up and down fine. Yesterday when I came out and did my, “Here chick chick” two of the more spunky ones flew out of the window and came running over to me. [​IMG]

They look and fine, but as they grow older (especially the Buff Orpington) I’m a little worried about them flying from 4 feet. Could they break a leg? Do they know how high is too high? What can I do to settle the spunky ones down so they don’t hurt themselves?

Any suggestions? [​IMG]

Marty

2. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Trust me you shouldn't worry about it. They are designed for flying from high areas. If you let them out loose they would likely fly into a tree. Then fly from the limb they are on when they are ready to come down. That's around 20ft or more some times. The pressure is taken off the legs by the flapping of the wings. The only ones I would ever worry about falling from a high place would be silkies as they do not have the proper wings to fly like that.

3. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    OK, I'm new here, so if the more experienced members disagree with me, go with their opinions!

I'd think it would be fine. Chickens roost in trees higher than four feet off the ground, so I'd think four feet wouldn't be a problem.

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    It's not impossible, people've had it happen with heavier breeds. OTOH it doesn't happen *lots*.

Simplest thing would be to make some sort of intermediate step/platform/stepstool type dealie, like 2x2' and 2' high, that they can use if they prefer.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by