?buk buk buk b-gawk buk buk, but still no egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickenSmitten, Dec 22, 2008.

1. ChickenSmitten

ChickenSmitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    Madison Wisconsin
    So it was 14 below zero and the girls were all snug in their coop and I hear the egg laying sounds for the first time, they are 22 weeks old... red combs, squatting...

But no egg to be found.

last night I dreamt of frozen eggs.
    So... is it normal for them to make those noises and NOT be laying?
    [​IMG]

2. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    I had one that did this.

Her buddies were as quiet as mice, and the eggs were a huge surprise, but Sarah,My Prima Donna little girl let us all know several times that she was trying.

She even woke up my son one morning. I was amazed, but after a day or so she finally got there, now she is quiet like the others, and even laid one right in front of me yesterday.

I am new to all of this so I was concerned when she did this, and just as a precaution I added a little olive oil for them just in case it might help.

I don't know if it did or if she just go there on her own, but she is fine and bouncing around all over the place now. Very proud of herelf now.

Hope you get a prize soon too.

Jena.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  3. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

It can be some time before she will lay an egg. One of my girls did the egg making noise for almost 2 weeks before I saw an egg.

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    My BR had me certain this afternoon that she had infally done The Deed. But... NOPE.

Faker.

5. Momo

Momo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    Nelson BC
    My EE girls did this for a couple of weeks before producing an egg. Drove me nuts.

6. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    They will often cackle and act a little distressed a day or 2 before laying that 1st egg.

I've got one that has been soooo noisy and she cackles when the others lay an egg. Even if the "layer" makes no noise at all [​IMG].

Excitable!!

Steve

7. camjac

camjac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    I got my first egg last Monday and they had been very noisy for about 2 weeks before that! I finally caught my EE in the act while I was in the coop this morning. What was so funny was she was making snoring sounds [​IMG]. I thought that she had fallen asleep in there but when I looked at her she just looked back. I spent an hour in there (4:30-5:30 am, I was worried about frozen water) She kept going in the nest box so I was not leaving without that egg! I still haven't figured out who is laying what but I have found 4 eggs out of 5 pullets for the last 3 days! BTW, I got them on June 23 if that helps you out any! Good luck, you should get some soon [​IMG]

8. Rustywreck

Rustywreck Chillin' With My Peeps

My hens make all kinds of noises, but I've never seen them lay an egg. I think they're bashful and won't do it while I'm around.
    Is there a certain sound hens make just before laying eggs?

9. ChickenSmitten

Sep 16, 2008
    Madison Wisconsin
    Thank you all for your input!
    I won't hold my breath! [​IMG] but it would be lovely to have the girls give me a first egg for Christmas! [​IMG]

10. ChickenSmitten

Sep 16, 2008
    Madison Wisconsin
    Hi Rustywreck
    yeah I have been told and heard on you tube that they go buk buk buk B-GAWK-buk buk when egg laying, and my girls had yet to make this particular sound until the other day.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by