Bulb wattage for light in coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Madrone, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Madrone

Madrone Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2011
    At the farm store, the salesperson suggested using a 40 watt regular bulb in my coop to encourage egg laying. She said bright light can cause aggressive behavior in chickens. What watt do you use? Is 40 fine?

2. kimisfishing

kimisfishing Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    Branson Missouri
    That is a great question. I do not know either, I have 100 in there now for heat, but not sure I should do it at all, my chicks are not old enough to lay yet. I cant wait for the answer.

3. dadsdeercamp

dadsdeercamp Say goodnight gracie

Sep 24, 2010
    Mora MN.
    I use 15 wat CFL's I dont like to add any heat to the coop

4. beerbaitnammo

beerbaitnammo New Egg

Jul 13, 2011
    I need advice on this too. I am getting ready to install 2 keyless fixtures in my coop (80sq ft) and don't need my eggs any more golden ($) than they already are...lol.

5. top of the hill

top of the hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Connecticut
    I've heard about the agresssive behavior thing (why I purchased a red heat lamp for my brooder) but I think in this circumstance your ok as long as the light is not on all day and all night. like me, chickens need a full nights sleep [​IMG]

This is what I plan to do in my coop:
    The light will be on a timer and will switch on around 4:30am. once daylight comes, the light will shut off. I will let my girls head to the roost at sunset to keep with the natural rythm this way as spring and summer come there will be no confusion.

6. Nuggets

Nuggets Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2011
    Maine
    I use a string of off white holiday lights run around in the coop for lighting on a timer - it also helps attract bugs which they like. It comes on at 4am thru 8am - but I also have a window in my coop so they do get light at sun up. I also use a timed heat lamp on cold days to take the chill off. Its been 24 at night these last few nights up here in Maine.
    I have 8 ladies. 2 Aracuanas, 2 golden laced wyndolettes, 2 plymouth rocks, and 2 buff orphintons. They started laying a month ago and I am up to a steady 3 eggs a day now.

7. dantodd

dantodd Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2011
    San Carlos, CA
    I bought a strip of waterproof LEDs that run on 12v. I wired them into my backyard lights because I haven't run permanent 120 out to the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by