bulge at top of vent

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cece119, Apr 4, 2016.

1. cece119

cece119 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2016
    My bantam cochin is super sweet and I noticed that she is losing her tail feathers. I think it is the rooster getting at her. He just started breeding and I think he is a little slow. I picked her up to check for mites since it is starting to get warmer here we are starting our seasonal prevention. When I picked her up, no mites but there was this bulge ABOVE not below her vent. It was about the size of my thumb. There was a slit and it was oozing a little. I squeezed it and a hard white ball came out. Im not sure what it was/is. It didnt seem to hurt her. Does anyone have any idea of what it could be?

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Do you have any pictures?

3. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    Most likely it was a larva, probably fly if my memory serves me. There are some insect species that lay their eggs inside another animal. I have personally seen it in a field mouse and heard of it happening to a girl after a trip to Mexico. It was probably the real cause for the feather loss.
    Usually the insect does not greatly harm the host animal and your bird is probably fine. But I would keep an eye on it and seperate your hen for a while. Because, without being there is could be completely mistaken and your other birds might peck at your hen, causing greater damage

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by