Bulge in the front of my Chickens???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HilltopFarm, May 18, 2009.

1. HilltopFarm

HilltopFarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2009
    The Garden State
    My chickens are now 7 weeks old and I notices today that they all seem to have a small bulge in the front of their breast, mostly on their left side when you are looking at them. What is that and should I be concerned.....I mean I'm already concerned....what shoudl I do?
    Thanks

2. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    It's most likely just a full crop. Nothing to worry about. [​IMG]

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Yup. Full crop. The first time I saw that on my ducks i freaked out...LOL

4. Over Easy in Adna

Over Easy in Adna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Adna Washington
    Yep, stop feeding them, it will go away... [​IMG]

5. cochinbantam-lover

cochinbantam-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Oh my goodness!!! I have been having trouble with one of my two day old chicks. His crop is like really puffed out and it's kinda like on the left side. When he lays down theres like this bump on the side. I thought he had something caught in his throat but can't really see anything but liquidy stuff. He holds his head back some and opens and closes his beak off and on. Suggestions please!

6. Far North Queenslander

Far North Queenslander Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2009
    Cairns
    Quote:If it doesn't go down after not feeding during the night then it is probably sour crop which is caused by gas from food fermenting in the crop. If it is fungal from stale feed Nilstat and yoghurt may help. The Nilstat will treat the fungus and the yoghurt will adjust the pH of the gut and increase the beneficial gut flora.

I usually give day olds a probiotic with their first feed to promote good flora in the gut and some fine sand to introduce grit into the gizzard to grind up food and help prevent impaction. Also keep the bird warm, as the colder it is the worse the problem will become.

7. cochinbantam-lover

cochinbantam-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Quote:If it doesn't go down after not feeding during the night then it is probably sour crop which is caused by gas from food fermenting in the crop. If it is fungal from stale feed Nilstat and yoghurt may help. The Nilstat will treat the fungus and the yoghurt will adjust the pH of the gut and increase the beneficial gut flora.

I usually give day olds a probiotic with their first feed to promote good flora in the gut and some fine sand to introduce grit into the gizzard to grind up food and help prevent impaction. Also keep the bird warm, as the colder it is the worse the problem will become.

Thankyou so much for the info, what is Nilstat tho?
    It seems to have gone down quite a bit, will he be ok now you think? I saw him walk and lift his leg to scratch himself

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by