Bulge in the front of my Chickens???

HilltopFarm

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 3, 2009
The Garden State
My chickens are now 7 weeks old and I notices today that they all seem to have a small bulge in the front of their breast, mostly on their left side when you are looking at them. What is that and should I be concerned.....I mean I'm already concerned....what shoudl I do?
Thanks

It's most likely just a full crop. Nothing to worry about.
smile.png

Oh my goodness!!! I have been having trouble with one of my two day old chicks. His crop is like really puffed out and it's kinda like on the left side. When he lays down theres like this bump on the side. I thought he had something caught in his throat but can't really see anything but liquidy stuff. He holds his head back some and opens and closes his beak off and on. Suggestions please!

Quote:
If it doesn't go down after not feeding during the night then it is probably sour crop which is caused by gas from food fermenting in the crop. If it is fungal from stale feed Nilstat and yoghurt may help. The Nilstat will treat the fungus and the yoghurt will adjust the pH of the gut and increase the beneficial gut flora.

I usually give day olds a probiotic with their first feed to promote good flora in the gut and some fine sand to introduce grit into the gizzard to grind up food and help prevent impaction. Also keep the bird warm, as the colder it is the worse the problem will become.

Quote:
If it doesn't go down after not feeding during the night then it is probably sour crop which is caused by gas from food fermenting in the crop. If it is fungal from stale feed Nilstat and yoghurt may help. The Nilstat will treat the fungus and the yoghurt will adjust the pH of the gut and increase the beneficial gut flora.

I usually give day olds a probiotic with their first feed to promote good flora in the gut and some fine sand to introduce grit into the gizzard to grind up food and help prevent impaction. Also keep the bird warm, as the colder it is the worse the problem will become.

Thankyou so much for the info, what is Nilstat tho?
It seems to have gone down quite a bit, will he be ok now you think? I saw him walk and lift his leg to scratch himself

Back
Top Bottom