bulge on breast - golden laced wyandotte

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by henhouse1012, Apr 5, 2016.

1. henhouse1012

henhouse1012 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2016
    Hello everyone, one of my golden laced wyandotte has a bulge on her breast (possibly a tumor??). She is 11 weeks old. Is there anything I can do for her? Wait it out and hopefully it absorbs? It currently doesn't seem to bother her at all. Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Thanks
    Mike

2. SuperChickRuth

SuperChickRuth Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2016
    Is it her crop? And is she acting normal?

3. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Is it on the right side of her chest? It could be a full crop, in that case.

~Alex

4. henhouse1012

Apr 5, 2016
    I'm thinking it could be sour crop? How do I remedy that? The overhanging feathers is the area in question.[​IMG]

5. Alexandra33

Does her breath smell foul? That can be a sign of sour crop. My feeling, though, is that if she's eating and drinking and acting otherwise normal, she's probably just experiencing normal full crop. [​IMG] Another thing you can do check in the morning and see her crop has gone down, as is standard.

~Alex

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  6. mobius

mobius Chillin' With My Peeps

Is it squishy? Is she acting sick? What other symptoms? Compare to another chicken?

I keep thinking crop too, I am always amazed at how BIG those crops can get. What I learned was to check them in the morning, right at waking, if empty, then likely it is not a crop problem...that would be my first step...leave it over night and check first thing...

7. henhouse1012

Apr 5, 2016
    Thank you everyone. I will update tomorrow and let you know if the crop size lessoned. I still can't believe how big it got.

8. mobius

mobius Chillin' With My Peeps

Excellent, let us know! I have three new baby GLWs, aren't they BEAU-tee-FUl!!!

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Please update tomorrow morning. If you suspect it could be something else you can post at "emergencies, diseases,injuries, cures," thread

10. Alexandra33

Please do! I thought one of my EEs had squishy, sour crop until a quick check the next morning revealed that it had shrunken to nothing. [​IMG]

~Alex

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by