1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bulge On Hen's Bottom! PICTURES!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LittleBoPeep1, Nov 2, 2016.

1. LittleBoPeep1

LittleBoPeep1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2015
    Hello,
    Tonight I went out and noticed almost an egg shaped "sack" hanging down from my hens bottom. Her feathers from her bottom have been missing for some time too. The egg shaped sack is somewhat squishy. She has not laid an egg for a while (I think), but she is acting normally (eating, drinking, walking normal). Any help would be greatly appreciated:) I am thinking possibly that she is egg bound or ascites.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  2. Bobchicken93

Bobchicken93 Just Hatched

Jun 4, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    Could be ascitics.

It is sometimes a sign of severe health issues like kidney failure. What I would recommend and it may be the only way it to get a syringe preferably a higher gauge one as you don't have to poke her as much and can sometimes screw off the tube and the needle will leak on its own and drain it. A water fluid should start to pour out and it may pour out for a while. You may get quite a bit of water depending on how big the bulge is. I know you don't want to do this but it may be the only way. you might be able to go to a vet and they can do it for you but not all vets deal with chickens so you might have to do it instead.

I hope this helps!

3. LittleBoPeep1

LittleBoPeep1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2015
    Thank you so much! I won't be able to get her into the vet for five days....do you think she will be fine over that period of time? Again, thank you so much!

4. Bobchicken93

Bobchicken93 Just Hatched

Jun 4, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    Hello again.
    I'm sorry I could not get back to you as l was on a holiday and forgot about BYC. She should have been fine for 5 days as it did not look too big. How is she going now? Has she recovered?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by