Bulk recipe for organic, soy free feed? does it make sense to switch my layers to organic or just st

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by T-Amy, Feb 5, 2013.

1. T-Amy

T-Amy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Woodhull, NY
    lots of questions:
    having trouble finding a 1 ton recipe to make organic, soy free feed. They all seem like small recipes.
    *****Need one for layers and one for meat birds
    With the meat birds, do I need to vaccinate for cocci or won't that negate the 'organic' of the bird? What about vitamins to strengthen their legs in lieu of the medicated feed we've given the meaties for the first 2 weeks previously?

Can I switch my layers (1-4 yr old birds) to organic feed & have the other stuff actually get out of their system? Or should I just start organic feed with the new birds since they'll be on a different pasture?

Thanks birdy friends!!

2. Clay Mudd

Clay Mudd Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    South MS swamps
    Here's a page of recipes:

http://www.fertrell.com/ration_recipes.html

if you're going for organic certification, you need to check with whoever's doing the certifying, but generally, the chicks have to start out organic.

3. T-Amy

T-Amy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Woodhull, NY
    PERFECT! this is exactly what I needed! I just hope the place that makes the feed has all of this stuff. We normally grind our own but it's hard to get all of the equipment out in the middle of winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by