Bull snake at the hen house door...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by jossanne, May 7, 2009.

1. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    This baby is almost 5 feet long. I got my kids all out to come see it, and they followed it off the property. Now I'm worrying that it will come back, and start eating eggs and young chickens. How big of a bird will a big bull snake eat? Or will it just get my eggs?
    [​IMG]

2. TammyTX

TammyTX Overrun With Chickens

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
  3. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Thanks Tammy. I knew they'd get my 7wk old birds that are in transition cages in the hen house, but I didn't think they'd try to eat a full-grown hen! I guess we'll start huntin' snakes.

We haven't worried about bull snakes in the past, because they will kill rattlers, and they are really good about catching and eating rats, mice, gophers, etc. I guess now I'm going to start worrying about them...

ETA: Sorry to hear about your pretty Jersey giant baby. That would really bother me.

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  4. TammyTX

TammyTX Overrun With Chickens

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    Rattlesnakes are bad news and if they kill rattlers...well, I might try deterrents first. You can try putting snake deterrent spray out. I think it's the same stuff mothballs are made of. I know mothballs are TOXIC to chickens, but I'm not sure about the spray.

Your bull snake is a lot prettier than my rat snake!!

5. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Gorgeous snake! Good job looking at the benefits, a lot of people won't do that. Bulls can easily reach 8 ft long so they can definitely take down smaller birds. If the rattlers and rodents are abundant, I don't think he'll go for your birds. If you catch him in there again grab him or grab a stick with leaves and brush it along his tail to scoot him on out! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. countrydream7

countrydream7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2013
    i am also afraid of snakes .uggh but I see most people don't have coops tight closed so much. I have hardwire cloth on a lot of my tractor coop and locks on top of that.. doing my best to not encounter snakes or rodents...just put my bjg out to coop nothing yet and hope not to see either...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by