1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bull???

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ivan3, Mar 7, 2007.

1. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
  2. MTchick

MTchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Western Montana
    Believe it or not, cows are a major predator of bird eggs when they are put on free range. If you were in charge of producing a fatty and protein filled beverage every day, wouldn't you eat eggs?!

Deer, too, are big eaters of bird eggs- they need the protein as well. This is an actual problem for native forest songbirds in deer infested areas like the eastern seaboard.

The good thing is that this is an opportunistic thing, so the big animals are incredibly unlikely to *try* to eat your chickens or chicken eggs. Try not to imagine a big stag knocking over your coop for a tasty omlet breakfast- that is crazy! It is far more likely that if they randomly find a hidden egg in the grass that they just eat it out of instinct.

-MTchick

Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
  3. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    MTchick, I think the deer in this neck of the woods are more than happy munching our Pecan saplings and stripping the bark off the Bald Cypress (had one bound right on through the turkey pen fencing), the cattle are either fenced in or being rustled.

Though I'll add your info to my Something Else To Worry about file!

Just posted owing to this quote in the article:

"as the calf, whom we had fondly named Lal, sneak to the coop and grab the little ones with the precision of a jungle cat,"

I'll be on the look out for Angus Aracuna Anglers...​

4. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Holy Sheepdip, Batman!!!

5. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by