bulldog just killed my chickens

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by floridachickhatcher, Sep 30, 2011.

1. floridachickhatcher

floridachickhatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    im so sick of people with their dogs letting them run wild...we had a bull dog get into the pen where our young roosters and starter pullets were that stupid dog killed 4 roosters and a 5mo hen and crippled another hen so dont know yet if she will have to be put down and then the owner of the dogs son was looking for him he came up to the door and i told him he needs to go around back and talk to my parents right now your dog just killed some of our chickens

and i hatched out those chickens from eggs he killed 3 of my white red sex link roosters one barred rock rooster a barred rock hen and crippled another barred rock hen

the hens were just fixing to start laying in NOV

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  2. brahmakid11

brahmakid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    sitting on the toilet
  3. floridachickhatcher

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    Quote:i told mom i want too cause our chickens are organic the white red sex link roosters were only 4 mos old those chickens were still babies

i told mom had i seen that dog get in with the buffs i would have shot the dog in the yard and let the chickens feast on his dead corpse

4. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    If their dog kills anymore of your chickens then you have the right to shoot it right on the spot. The owner of the dog should keep it inside and if it happens again you have the right to shoot the dog.

5. Appalachian Chickens

Appalachian Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2011
    Around here if you call animal control they can classify the dog as dangerous and the owners will be liable and the dog euthinized if it so much gets off a chain or out of it's run.
    You can also figure how much money and time you got in your chickens and ask the dog's owners for it. You can then see what kind of neighbors you have from their reaction.

6. flyingtnh

flyingtnh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Depending on where you live, I'd say you've got the right to shoot him before he kills anymore of your chickens. Check the laws, but since he's a known predator, if he's on your property he's probably fair game. If you're someplace you can't shoot, get a big live trap and bait it with burger.

You do need to report the incident that just happened to Animal control (if you have such an animal) or the police. They won't do anything, but if you end up killing the dog later you've got proof that it was a problem.

In the meantime, you need to go talk to the owner and tell him to make it right. If he doesn't, take him to small claims court and make sure to include the filing costs in your claim.

7. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

i would definitely report it so you have it on record. The dog's owners need to come claim the dog from you. if you haven't relinquished it to the kid ,i'd send him home to get his parents to come get it and you can speak to them after showing them what their dog did.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

[​IMG]

9. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:X2

10. floridachickhatcher

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    Quote:oh yeah my mom knows that she said she wanted to shoot the dog i mean the son of the owner he said he was so sorry but the mom omg she didnt care when i took a pic of the dog she told it to smile.....she said she would replace the chickens those white red sex link roosters cant be replace

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by