1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bullied bantam

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by TheCrazyClucker, Feb 23, 2013.

1. TheCrazyClucker

TheCrazyClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2012
    I have a little mutt banty hen, Clover. I have a lot of bantams and large-sized chickens together, and there was never a problem before I got a new Buff Orp, Buffy. She bullies Clover, and she literally grabs Clover by the hackles and shakes her. I have Clover quarantined even though she's not hurt, I just don't want her to get hurt. What should I do? Should I get rid of Buffy?

2. You could get 2 seperate coops. Maybe a bantam coop and a large chicken coop.

3. TheCrazyClucker

Nov 30, 2012
    My flock is big and they free range around our farm all day, just going into the coop to sleep every night. So building another coop would be a little pointless... And Buffy's been showing some aggression towards me, she's definitely not timid...

4. TheCrazyClucker

Nov 30, 2012
    Help? [​IMG]

5. hhmm maybe you make clover an indoor bantam. Just a thought.

6. TheCrazyClucker

Nov 30, 2012
    We already have a house chicken, a Mille Fluer d'Uccle bantam named Ethel. Like I said, Buffy shows some aggression towards me. I don't know if I should sell her, or what. What should I do?

7. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    If you are not comfortable with a hen why keep it? If you want to keep an aggressive hen treat her like you would an aggressive rooster. Dominate her, pin her to the ground and hold her there for a while. As to the hen on hen interaction. Separating the bully is the way to go, for about a week completely away from the flock if possible. That way she has to worry about getting her place in the pecking order and not bulling the one(s) she is picking one. Doesn't always work, but its better then having the one picked on having to worry about the pecking order and being bullied when reintroduced.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Get rid of Buffy.

9. TheCrazyClucker

Nov 30, 2012
    I just got Buffy yesterday, and I was giving her time to find her place in the pecking order. I think I'll just get rid of Buffy. I don't want Clover to get hurt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by