Bullied chicken

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by stephieebear16, Feb 12, 2017.

1. stephieebear16

stephieebear16 New Egg

May 1, 2016
    Akron ohio
    [​IMG]

I live in ohio so its the middle of winter. Our winter has been crazy. We've had some days where its 60 and otheres were its 10. I believe shes being bullied. She runs from the ither chickens when they get too close to her. They were even chasing her. I dont know what to do. Shes the sweetest out of all my chickens and im lost for words. This is my first time having chickens.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If they bully her a lot please put out extra feed & water dishes. Bullies like to block victims from getting to eat or drink. If they are drawing blood, you could get "pinless peepers," for them - they prevent birds from seeing straight ahead, so their aim is off target. Plus the peepers probably annoy them enough where they will forget about victimizing her. Good lesson for them.

Put, "pinless peepers" in the searchbox and read all about them.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. I'd say that most likely what you are seeing is displacement behaviour caused by not your chickens not being able to perform their innate behaviours. The links given by redsoxs should help you try to identify potential solutions. Pending identifying the perpetrator(s) I'd suggest putting the victim in a crate (with her own food and water) but keep the crate in the coop.

Good luck
    CT

5. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

You've been given a lot of good links and tips so I'll just say hello and hope things settle down for your flock soon.

6. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and my warmest welcome to the flock! I am quite pleased you decided to join us, please pull up a chair and make yourself at home here! I hope you enjoy it here as much as I have! :frow

~Cuz

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by