Bullied Chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TBeiter, Aug 10, 2013.

1. TBeiter

TBeiter Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2013
    New York
    Help!

I have 5 Hens now and I came back from vacation yesterday to one of my hens, Quibbler, being bullied... I knew one of my hens had died while we were gone due to disease, would that have anything to do with it? she hasnt been getting food, so i have been giving it to her.

The last 2 times that this has happened (exeption being when I integrated a new batch of chickens) ended up in 1- giving away a chicken, which I dont want to do now, and 2- a hen being pecked to death.

Thank you!!!!!

PS- I've heard of Stockholm Tar to stop the pecking- does anyone know if it works?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I would watch them for a while to see if I could pick out a "head bully," and remove that chicken for several days to a week, out of sight of the others. Then when it returns, it should be at the bottom of the pecking order.

There are several products that are supposed to discourage pecking. I think the bottom line is, sometimes they work.

3. TBeiter

Aug 10, 2013
    New York
    Thanks Judy,

There is one problem with your advice unfortunatly-all of them are pecking her. I've looked online some more and found many people saying that crating her in a dog cage and putting her in the coop works, so right now i'm trying that...

Thank you!!!!!

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

They may all be pecking her but many times there is an instigator who starts it and then they all join in. I've had that happen and when I removed the trouble maker the others got along fine, nobody else started trouble. If you remove the low-on-the-totem-pole hen then they might just start up again on the next one in line. It can be a hard cycle to break.

5. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Did you get all hens at the same time? If the one being pecked came after the others,or looks different(fancy breed)this may be the problem. I would suggest getting another hen so she has a friend,just remember the quarantine rule. I know this does not help your immediate problem,but will help in the long run,if she has a friend pecking should lessen and she will be happy.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  6. TBeiter

Aug 10, 2013
    New York
    I got all of the hens from tractor supply at the same time as chicks, all of the hens are red sex link. I could easily get another hen to keep her company.... getting more hens, great! Thank you ten chicks! cafarmgirl- thank you the cycle hasnt continued thankfully, but I will try removing the worst bully before getting another hen.

Thank you, all of you!!!!!

7. TBeiter

Aug 10, 2013
    New York
    I've separated the bully, and the flock was fine, but then after 3 days I tried to reinagrate her with the flock, but she started bullying the same hen while she was getting pecked on herself for being "new".....HELP!!!!!!!!!!! Everything's messed up!

8. chickers

chickers Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2012
    Gold Country California
    Remove the bully hen for at least a week, then try again. Three days may not be enough.

9. TBeiter

Aug 10, 2013
    New York
    nevermind, nothing worked and i didnt want someone to die so I gave the bully to my uncle where she can start over.... Thanks everyone!

10. I know this is an old thread, but I'm having the same problem, all the chickens are beating up on one and there's no distinct bully, what should I do?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by