Bullied chook?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by moody-chicken, Mar 17, 2013.

1. moody-chicken

moody-chicken Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2013
    Hi I have a relatively new flock (2 weeks) and they've been ill for 1 week. Now they're feeling better they have quickly established a pecking order. The small pekins are top of the food chain, the black one Pop is boss lady then Pip. Next is a large Sussex bantam (Pepper) and last is a small Sussex bantam (Salt). Now my issue is Salt is driven away from any food source by Pepper even if I put out multiple sources. I've also noticed Pepper just chases her away generally like she's not allowed to be too close to the group. I also saw her lunge and peck at her harshly this morning and Salt cried out in shock and pain. There's no feather pulling or ganging up on Salt it's just Pepper keeps harassing her to assert her dominance over her. Salt as a result just hovers on the outskirts of any activity and also runs to escape getting in peppers way if she accidentally wanders near her. Is this just an adjustment period or will Salt alway be the one not allowed to eat and forage with the others? Also I have two new pekins coming in two weeks time, will this possibly help matters or make them worse?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Remove Pepper from the flock for a week. It will return at the lower end of the pecking order.

3. moody-chicken

moody-chicken Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2013
    Ok thank you. Ill try and find somewhere to put her for a week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by