Bullied Hen and Attacking Rooster

coryleslie

In the Brooder
Oct 25, 2022
We have four hens and a roo - all 8 months old and barnyard mixes. They share a coop and run intended for 8 chickens so they have lots of space. We've also been letting them out of the coop during the day to free range. We don't pet them or hand feed them, and we mostly keep our distance, though we will sit outside with them while they range. However, we've seen a big change in their behavior.

1. One of the hens is getting bullied by the others and frequently targeted by the roo for mating. She rarely leaves the roost, which is why we started allowing them to free range so we could ensure she was getting water and food. The roo and three hens will roost on one end of the bar in the coop with the bullied hen at the other end with a lot of distance between them. To help the bullied hen, we did let her out on her own a few times or put her in a separate coop.

2. We got new chicks. We initially thought to integrate them with the flock, but learned that was a terrible idea and bought a separate coop. We've just started putting the chicks in the coop during the warm part of the day (too cold at night still). The original five (including the bullied hen) stalk around their coop and try to peck at the chicks when they range.

This has all been happening in the last couple of weeks. Well, three days ago I was moving the bullied hen and the roo attacked the back of my legs. It didn't hurt, but it pissed me off. Then today, my 5 yo son was shooing the roo off our raised garden bed. As he walked away, the roo attacked the back of my sons legs. I see a lot of threads on her saying to rehome or make soup of the roo. My mom is super attached to him, but my son comes first. Ideas? I think he's mad that I handled his hen and brought new chicks around.

We have four hens and a roo - all 8 months old and barnyard mixes. They share a coop and run intended for 8 chickens so they have lots of space. We've also been letting them out of the coop during the day to free range. We don't pet them or hand feed them, and we mostly keep our distance, though we will sit outside with them while they range. However, we've seen a big change in their behavior.

1. One of the hens is getting bullied by the others and frequently targeted by the roo for mating. She rarely leaves the roost, which is why we started allowing them to free range so we could ensure she was getting water and food. The roo and three hens will roost on one end of the bar in the coop with the bullied hen at the other end with a lot of distance between them. To help the bullied hen, we did let her out on her own a few times or put her in a separate coop.

2. We got new chicks. We initially thought to integrate them with the flock, but learned that was a terrible idea and bought a separate coop. We've just started putting the chicks in the coop during the warm part of the day (too cold at night still). The original five (including the bullied hen) stalk around their coop and try to peck at the chicks when they range.

This has all been happening in the last couple of weeks. Well, three days ago I was moving the bullied hen and the roo attacked the back of my legs. It didn't hurt, but it pissed me off. Then today, my 5 yo son was shooing the roo off our raised garden bed. As he walked away, the roo attacked the back of my sons legs. I see a lot of threads on her saying to rehome or make soup of the roo. My mom is super attached to him, but my son comes first. Ideas? I think he's mad that I handled his hen and brought new chicks around.
Hi. @coryleslie Welcome to BYC.
We had a similar situation when we first got chickens. Our first chicken was a cockerel. It wasn't planned, our neighbor's boys brought home a cockerel while coming home from a baseball game (it was out on the side of a highway). The husband (after about a week was complaining to my husband that the cockerel was driving the dog nuts and her wanted to get rid of the chicken, So, I begged my husband, like a tottler for the cockerel. God love my husband he said yes.
As a lone chicken he would get bored and peck on my glass back door until I came out and played with him. After a few weeks I told my husband, the cockerel needed hens to keep him busy. When we first got the 3 hens, I went out with my Husband and DD to see how the integration would go (the 3 hens were grown). He went to each hen and gave her a quick peck to let them know he was in charge. Then he came to where we were standing and gave DD and me a quick peck. my husband was prepared with an old floppy bamboo cane and gave the rooster a wack with the bamboo. I think the noise scared the cockerel more than getting hit by the bamboo.
He realized very quickly that he was the head of the chickens, but not the people. He and I kept a great relationship, even taking the flock (that had grown to 16) out to the front yard to graze. He kept them out of my garden and the neighbors' gardens, he even made friends with our local policeman.
All this to say I think you should keep your child away from him until you can train your Rooster. I would start by strutting the yard like you are in charge, find an old broom or something similar to carry with you. If he tries to attack your legs again, immediately wack him with the broom. You don't have to hurt him, just make sure he knows you will fight and win, you are in charge. Once he stops attacking you, cut the broom stick so your kids can use the broom end easily if needed. Make sure each child uses the broom by just carrying it in the chicken yard. He will have already figured out what it is for and probably will avoid it. Make sure your kids know that if they feel like they have to use it, don't beat the poor rooster with it, just wave it around him and hit his rear it needed.
DD carried that ratty old bamboo into the chicken yard for a year and never had to use it. It was to make her feel better. She even brought our rooster to school for the blessing of the pets day. :lau :love
I hope this helps and I am so glad you have joined us.

You just need to let him know you are above his rank
There are two methods which are

1.The straight up this is your lane
2.The goody goody method

This is your lane means be the tuff rooster, and what would a tuff rooster do?
Beat the crap out of the lesser males, trust me and try this
One day of this action whenever you're around he'd be at a distance at the other end

The goody goody: spend more time with him: for example
Hand feeding, petting, picking him up constantly.
When you get him hold him to the ground and put his head down for like a minute till he's calm
Note this method is slow and would need time and dedication

Back
Top Bottom