Bullied Hen

Baker1968

Chirping
Jun 8, 2018
Terre Haute, IN
I noticed about two weeks ago that one of my hens was not roosting with the other hens and rooster, she was sleeping in a nesting box. She would go out in the run with the others during the day, then back to the nesting box at night. After observing this for 3 days/nights, I noticed she was starting to be somewhat lethargic. I was very concerned, so I contacted my veterinarian. He determined she had a upper respiratory infection and prescribed antibiotics for 3 days. After 3 days of antibiotics, I noticed some improvement. I noticed when she was laying in the nesting box, the Rhode Island Reds would peck her when they came inside, not let her eat or drink. Then I noticed when she was in the run, she was being bullied by the two hens again (Rhode Island Reds), the following day they were more aggressive when she was in the run. They kept cornering her and pecking her and would not stop until I went in and broke them apart. I have a separate coop and run that I use for a “hospital” when needed. I immediately moved the two bullies to the other coop. She still continued to lay in the nesting box, then she finally went in the run. When I saw her in the run, she had squeezed underneath a homemade nesting box that has four legs. I went into the run and moved the box to free her. She then went inside the coop and into a nesting box. Then other hens came inside the coop, this time Barred Rocks, and they started pecking her while she was in the nesting box. I then decided to move her to the “hospital” coop, and move the reds back to the other coop. She was not moving her wings or head normally and was walking very slow and cautiously. She is by herself in the “hospital” coop and has been for almost a week now. She is out in the run and in the coop, moves freely and is eating and drinking. She is flapping her wings, moving her head, walking normally and grooming again. I let her out separately to free range for a few hours everyday. I am worried she seems fine right now by herself, is much stronger, but I do not want her to get lonely and I do not want to move her back to the other coop with the others and put her through being bullied and injured. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

I am definitely a Novice but, all I can say is This.. when I had one of my pullets being severly bullied to blood death and Not sick, I pulled the bully for 2 weeks in a large dog crate and allowed the pecking order to reshuffle. This seemed to have worked for my flock of 6.
Now, I have a peaceful flock for 2 mos. Now.
Good luck. I hope your flock gets healthy n happy again.

Thank you for the information, I am willing to try anything at this point, I feel bad for her.
I had to pull my bloody pullet first and treat her several times a day. As soon as (like a couple days only) she looked like she was on the mend, I put her back into the flock and still kept her bloody areas cleaned with tepid water, pat dry and coated with Blu-kote (bought at Tractor supply) I didn't by the areosol one because it goes on too cold so, I bought the spray bottle. Allowed it to dry. Because, It's GENTIVIOLET and Stains Everything! (I learned chickens are attracked to red). Then, I pulled the bullie for a full 14 days sight unseen into a large dog crate on my screened in porch for preditor protection. This time frame seemed to allow the pecking order to re-group. After a full 14 days, and undivided attention, I put the bully back in and the order was once again re-established but, the bully was no longer a bully.
Actually, the bloody lowly pullet rose in the pecking order to #2 and remains there and is my friendliest of the 6. The Bully is 4:6 and is no longer a bully. But...I have all pullets. No cockrells in the flock.
So, my success might be a different story if I had cockrells. Idk.
I was disparate and researched this idea before I joined the BYC forum.
A lot of the Peeps on here are down right experts on this subject.
So, please keep that in mind because I am a Novice and offering my success based on my research for my problem and flock.

Attachments

• 20200601_131409.jpg
    20200601_131409.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 0
I am definitely a Novice but, all I can say is This.. when I had one of my pullets being severly bullied to blood death and Not sick, I pulled the bully for 2 weeks in a large dog crate and allowed the pecking order to reshuffle. This seemed to have worked for my flock of 6.
Now, I have a peaceful flock for 2 mos. Now.
Good luck. I hope your flock gets healthy n happy again.
Thank you for the information, I am willing to try anything at this point, I feel bad for her.

Back
Top Bottom