Bullied Hen

pixiechicks81

Hatching
6 Years
Nov 14, 2013
This is our first year with chickens. We have found that one our of hens has been spending all of her time in the nesting box. I'm not sure if she has been eating/drinking. Her comb is shriveled. I've read up on brooding, but I'm not sure if that's what's happening or not. We are also thinking that she might be one of our neighbor's chickens, but he doesn't want her back. Any help would be appreciate!

She could be sick. One thing I'd do is check them all for lice/mites. Unless they are very tame, this is easiest to do after dark when they can be picked up off the roost more easily.

Notice when you check her whether she seems lighter than she should be, whether her keel (breast) bone sticks out or feels sharp. Sometimes they will keep the hen who is at the bottom of the pecking order away from the food and water. You could take her aside morning and evening and let her eat and drink in peace for a few minutes. You could also try a second feeder and waterer, in a different spot.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/818674/are-these-some-kind-of-egg-clusters/0_20#post_11897957

Thanks flockwatcher, I'll check her out tonight. She doesn't seem to be any lighter than the others.

cafarmgirl - how would I know if she is 'wormy'???

Back
Top Bottom