bullied into not laying? laying cycle imitating dominate hen? other?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mark & Nique, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Mark & Nique

Mark & Nique Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    Howdy!

Background:
    Our small backyard flock (3 hens: BR, EE, Speckled Sussex) got even smaller this summer due to the heat (our BR died). About 10 days ago, our EE, the dominant hen, started to molt (again -- the second time this summer) and stopped laying. About this time, the EE started to really bully the SS, so we separated them. They are back together and doing okay, but not great.

The SS is not molting, but she has stopped laying.

Questions:
    Could this be caused by the rough treatment?

Or could her laying cycle be influenced by the molting EE's cycle? (I know this one sounds crazy, but as the only male in our household, I've found it to be true with human female albeit not egg laying, but with another cycle.)

Or could it be something else?

Thanks for your time and help!
    - Mark

2. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    My oldest EE will kick others out of the nest if she is laying at the same time. I don't know if it's a reason yours stopped laying, but I imagine it could be why. Maybe your SS is laying somewhere else.

3. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    I think their cycles can be affected by what the other chickens are doing. That was been my experience.

4. Mark & Nique

Mark & Nique Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    Thanks for the replies!

Now, the SS is molting! (Which, of course, means no eggs at all!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by